Government Considering Stricter Outdoor Smoking Rules to Reduce Preventable Deaths

In mitigation...

How much money does the UK government make from cigarettes?

In 2023/24, tobacco duty tax receipts in the United Kingdom amounted to approximately 8.8 billion British pounds, compared with ten billion pounds in the previous financial year.Jul 3, 2024.

smoking costs the NHS an additional £2.4bn and a further £1.2bn in social care costs. 

5 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Starmer continuing to go after the easy targets. How about enforcing bans that are already in place?  Like drugs, knives etc?

My first thought was that there's not enough room left in prisons to enforce drug and knife crime.

6 hours ago, cressida said:

Having been a smoker I have more empathy for smokers as it's not easy to give up something you enjoy,  I didn't like smoking in the presence of my children and the yellowing ceiling in the lounge wasn't nice.

I stopped smoking in 1995 while reading Allen Carr's Easy Way To  Stop Smoking. Brillant book, no scare tactics involved - in fact he advises to carry on smoking while you read it. About three quarters of the way through the book I noticed that I had started smoking less. On finishing the book I binned my cigarettes and honestly haven't wanted one since.

I do sympathise with smokers regarding the new proposed smoking laws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

In mitigation...

How much money does the UK government make from cigarettes?

In 2023/24, tobacco duty tax receipts in the United Kingdom amounted to approximately 8.8 billion British pounds, compared with ten billion pounds in the previous financial year.Jul 3, 2024.

smoking costs the NHS an additional £2.4bn and a further £1.2bn in social care costs. 

I suppose that it’s impossible to calculate how much tax is generated from fit none smokers.