Government Considering Stricter Outdoor Smoking Rules to Reduce Preventable Deaths

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

A ban on outdoor smoking in places like beer gardens is excessive in my view. Though I'd like to know why people like Esther McVey aren't standing up for my right to smoke weed (in private), or for other people to use substances like MDMA or heroin. 

Because it's illegal.

• Like 2

On 29/08/2024 at 13:48, Box11 said:

So there maybe a smoking ban in pub beer gardens…..

Absolutely ludicrous smokers need a place to smoke while frequenting the pub what’s so wrong with smoking outside…..

This will be the final nail in the coffin for many pubs…..

The data just does not add up to prove your claim.

There has been a steady decrease in smoker numbers for many years, which would suggest that patrons of pubs that smoke are proportionally less.

Maybe when smoking is all but eradicated, more people may return to pubs.

Additionally,  the cost pressures of running a pub far outweigh any reduction in smokers staying away.. that is what is closing pubs.

On 29/08/2024 at 15:46, RJRB said:

I think that they should stop drinking in pubs and eating in restaurants as both lead to costs to the NHS.

As you might guess,I am a smoker and have been for many a year.I am no longer a drinker,not because of the smoking ban but much more due to the breathalyser laws and the importance of using a car for both work and social use.

So I am one of those few that you see nipping out onto the pavement after a meal ,trying to avoid the militant anti smoking brigade who would ban smoking in parks ,on pavements,and other open air public places.

I will take your militant tag and raise you inconsiderate in relation to smokers. I never get asked if their smoke is OK to drift onto my face or I mind if they throw their stub ends on the floor.

It's inevitable that we will see the end of smoking very soon and the quicker it comes the better. 

I will be pursuing a policy of hefty tax rises for smoking g and tapes. £5 per pack each budget and the same for loose tobacco. 

Just now, Al Bundy said:

Well that's an entirely different discussion.

No, it isn't. Because if Labour did make smoking in beer gardens illegal, then according according to you, the day afterwards we would all have to agree with that because we shouldn't support things that are illegal, regardless of the concept of personal freedoms.

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

No, it isn't. Because if Labour did make smoking in beer gardens illegal, then according according to you, the day afterwards we would all have to agree with that because we shouldn't support things that are illegal, regardless of the concept of personal freedoms.

We wouldn't have to agree with it but if it's a law we have to abide with it.

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

We wouldn't have to agree with it but if it's a law we have to abide with it.

So if this legislation was passed, do you think that Esther McVey (for example) would have to stop criticising it once it was law?