Government Considering Stricter Outdoor Smoking Rules to Reduce Preventable Deaths

17 hours ago, RollingJ said:

If they got chance the government would ban you breathing - whichever party was in power.

Bit disappointed with the govt. so far,  I expected them to be borrowing to placate the people who got them into power and who expected to be rewarded with all sorts of goodies.

Are you a bit of a rebel RJ?

53 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

A lot of control freaks around today. 😀

At least the question you asked last night on this thread has been answered, and I don’t think plastered was or is the answer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cressida said:

Bit disappointed with the govt. so far,  I expected them to be borrowing to placate the people who got them into power and who expected to be rewarded with all sorts of goodies.

Are you a bit of a rebel RJ?

Not really - more of a cynic when it comes to governments, of any persuasion.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peak4 said:

YouGov poll on the subject here;
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/08/29/a8ff1/1

Interestingly, the only group that seems widely out of step with the overall consensus seems to be those who claim to be Reform voters.

image_2024-08-29_173925377.png

and from a survey of the same people that day as well - Shall we ban smoking inside if you live in flats 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/08/29/a8ff1/2

and 46% want to ban smoking inside as well as outside

Genuine question for the smokers. If Labour brought this in, would it stop you smoking or would you just do it elsewhere because lets face it

Stopping smoking on public transport - People still smoked

Stopping smoking in workplaces - People still smoked

Stopping smoking in pubs and clubs - People still smoked

People are still going to smoke regardless and this bill will do nothing to stop this except have a negative impact on restuarants and pubs. Will people now be banned from smoking outside full stop? There is no difference to people nipping outside work for a fag then nipping outside a pub. Smoke is still going out into the open air where other people are

22 hours ago, cressida said:

Pubs put up a lot of outdoor enclosures, and outdoor heaters - at one time I relied on herbal cigarettes but I think they went off the market,  Holland & Barrett sold them.

A main ingredient of herbal cigarettes was coltsfoot, now known to cause liver damage.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

and from a survey of the same people that day as well - Shall we ban smoking inside if you live in flats 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/08/29/a8ff1/2

and 46% want to ban smoking inside as well as outside

Genuine question for the smokers. If Labour brought this in, would it stop you smoking or would you just do it elsewhere because lets face it

Stopping smoking on public transport - People still smoked

Stopping smoking in workplaces - People still smoked

Stopping smoking in pubs and clubs - People still smoked

People are still going to smoke regardless and this bill will do nothing to stop this except have a negative impact on restuarants and pubs. Will people now be banned from smoking outside full stop? There is no difference to people nipping outside work for a fag then nipping outside a pub. Smoke is still going out into the open air where other people are

Of course some people will still smoke whatever  rules and supervision is put in place, but you are missing the point. The public attitude to smoking has changed radically. Legislation is only one of many reasons for this. At the simplest level in pubs/workplace etc. smokers not addicted to nicotine were separated from the addicted and did not  have to modify their behaviour. Pricing reduced the 'shared activity' aspect.  The 'door step' addicts becoming rarer.

Nicotine addiction is very, very, very hard to manage and the brain will generate all manner of excuses to avoid stopping- mine was "I found it so easy to give up last time, so I can give up anytime I want to." When I did stop it coincided with pub and workplace rules which have helped immensely in controlling my addiction to nicotine. This has still left a small minority of addicts and non-addicts smoking. The proposed ban will help the non-addicted and reinforce the willpower of many addicts to try and give. Some people will not give but their numbers will fall with death.

Children mimicking adults is the biggest 'push' to starting smoking. Adult smokers need to take responsibility for this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

A main ingredient of herbal cigarettes was coltsfoot, now known to cause liver damage.

I was smoking a herbal one in a cafe and the manager (?)  asked me what I was smoking,  I think he was suspicious it was a banned substance so I showed him the packet,  Herbal Cigarettes,  but I didn't go in there again.