Government Considering Stricter Outdoor Smoking Rules to Reduce Preventable Deaths

45 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

So many inaccuracies, misinterpretations and irrelevances all to avoid a proposal that smoking restrictions be extended in publicly accessible areas.  A rehash of the failed arguments before previous legislation.  As before some of the proposals will scrutinized  before being introduced and debated in Parliament where any new legislation will be introduced. As before the vested interests will attempt to influence us through the media via their multi-million advertising budgets.

And the current govt has such a majority it could pass any legislation it wanted. over 90 labour mps would have to go against the govt to throw this out if all the other mps also opposed this or any other bill brought forward and that aint happening in the first 2 years of parliament

1 minute ago, sheffbag said:

And the current govt has such a majority it could pass any legislation it wanted. over 90 labour mps would have to go against the govt to throw this out if all the other mps also opposed this or any other bill brought forward and that aint happening in the first 2 years of parliament

So stand by for lots of further restrictions on your liberty - by stealth.

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

Irrelevant as the full ban was voted in against  Labour Government proposals in 2006.

When a previous Government tried to introduce a partial smoking ban in pubs, it was forced to introduce a complete ban when it was forced to release the results of its public consultation which revealed 9/10 people wanted a complete ban and bodies representing pub trade said a partial ban was unworkable. 

A 'complete ban' Amendment was an introduced by the multi-party Health Select Committee as an amendment to the Government Health Bill.  The Government allowed MPs a free vote on the amendment because of public pressure.  The Health Secretary even voted against  her own department's  policy of a partial ban.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Irrelevant as the full ban was voted in against  Labour Government proposals in 2006.

When a previous Government tried to introduce a partial smoking ban in pubs, it was forced to introduce a complete ban when it was forced to release the results of its public consultation which revealed 9/10 people wanted a complete ban and bodies representing pub trade said a partial ban was unworkable. 

A 'complete ban' Amendment was an introduced by the multi-party Health Select Committee as an amendment to the Government Health Bill.  The Government allowed MPs a free vote on the amendment because of public pressure.  The Health Secretary even voted against  her own department's  policy of a partial ban.

But there WAS a partial ban in pubs. I remember when pubs and bars had smoking areas indoors. One place in particular, The Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes the smoking area was just inside the entrance, meaning non smokers had to pass through the smoking area to get to the no smoking area. Ludicrous.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

But there WAS a partial ban in pubs. I remember when pubs and bars had smoking areas indoors. One place in particular, The Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes the smoking area was just inside the entrance, meaning non smokers had to pass through the smoking area to get to the no smoking area. Ludicrous.

Yes they should smoke well away from.all buildings I not smoked for 30 years it's a nasty habit but I did like a smoke so let them.get on with it if they want its not illegal government make millions from it so never will.it be banned like gambling easy money for them both addictive 

• Like 1

I'm of an age where I did smoke inside the pubs, if anyone complained I would tell them where to go

However, I have stopped smoking and I do not want to put up with other people's smoke and that includes vapes, disgusting habits

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A ban on outdoor smoking in places like beer gardens is excessive in my view. Though I'd like to know why people like Esther McVey aren't standing up for my right to smoke weed (in private), or for other people to use substances like MDMA or heroin. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rogets said:

I'm of an age where I did smoke inside the pubs, if anyone complained I would tell them where to go

However, I have stopped smoking and I do not want to put up with other people's smoke and that includes vapes, disgusting habits

What part of cloud cuckoo land are you from? Back in the day, when smoking inside was permitted, no one complained or “had an issue” with it. People just got on with life. Live and let live and all that.

You seem obsessed with what’s happening inside pubs, yet this thread is about a possible ban on OUTSIDE smoking. People don’t smoke or vape inside pubs anymore.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

There was no Government partial ban.

The Health Act 2006 banning smoking in pubs became law in England on 1 July 2007.

Previous to that date many individual pubs and chains had introduced their own voluntary partial bans and full indoor ban  -including Weatherspoon.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There was no Government partial ban.

The Health Act 2006 banning smoking in pubs became law in England on 1 July 2007.

Previous to that date many individual pubs and chains had introduced their own voluntary partial bans and full indoor ban  -including Weatherspoon.

Yawn.

• Like 1