Best Concert you have been to

A couple of Hawkwind concerts in the early 80's expanded my consciousness. New Order at the Roxy (Barry Noble's) where I lost consciousness, Sparklehorse, Sugar. Das Damen at Take Two - an audience of just me and my mate and they still did the whole show. Local bands such as early Chicken Legs Weaver, Faded, Colour Of Sound, Pulp at the Marple's or Crucible Studio, Hallamshire, Psalter Lane art college, City Hall Ballroom, even their first gig at lunchtime at City School and later school gigs.

• Like 1

Thought Bowie at Milton Keyes bowl would take some beating but Weller pushes him very close,worst was Elton John and Rod Stewart who said afterward he had a sore throat but he didn’t refund us.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Norbert said:

A couple of Hawkwind concerts in the early 80's expanded my consciousness. 

Saw the mighty 'Wind twice at the City Hall. First was the 'Astounding Sounds....' tour in '76, quickly followed the following year when they were promoting 'Quark, Strangeness And Charm'.

Fabulous live act.

Calvert died and then the albums started getting ropey. Stopped buying them and so (for me) Hawkwind were no longer a 'must-see' act.

On a whim, I next saw them 34 years later. They played at The Plug in the city centre. My cousin was doing the lights and offered to put me on the pest-list.  

Marvellous show. So for the past few years I've slowly been picking up Hawkwind CDs trying to catch up on what I've missed. I have 37 so far....

• Like 2

On 09/09/2024 at 10:14, cressida said:

Took my son to a Spice Girls one at the Manchester Arena in the 1990s and it was actually very good.

We took my daughter and her mate to see them when they played Don Valley Bowl. The beloved and I came away impressed. Those lasses worked damn hard.

I loved the Don Valley Bowl as a venue. Saw U2 there. They were magnificent too. Shame it's gone.

Mine would be in around 1993, when me and a mate bought tickets to see Meatloaf at the Birmingham NEC. We both made the mistake of watching a Meatloaf concert on the Old Grey Whistle Test a coupleof weeks before, he was so abysmal, we both seriously thought of not going. But we did. We had no idea of where our seats were, and were increasingly excited to be directed towards the stage. Finally finding our seats centre stage 3 rows back! Mr Meat didn't let us down, the concert was brilliant, the only drawbacks being caught by Meat's, and his bands, sweat when they got over energetic! The other drawback was making the mistake of catching the Mail train back to Sheffield, which seemed to take forever. All in all a great night, the joys of youth.