Middlewood Hospital

18 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I started my Pre Nursing in Sept 1974 . When I found out where I was going first , I nearly dropped . 16 & off I was going to Middlewood . I remember Mum saying , Helen , if you can get through this one , you will go all the way . So ,off I went on the bus , proper full of nerves . Talk about a very scary sight as I got off the bus . Like something out of a horror film , crows flying all around . I asked this man where main entrance was & he pointed . Turns out he was a patient . I thought once I was nearly through months later , that Mental Health was not the direction I wanted . But , I did learn a lot 

Nut house  some reyt characters in that place .....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good morning gaz 786. Now come on, you can't say that about some of the poor souls that were in Middlewood, including my Father in law !

OK apologies to your dad 👨 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had an uncle who spent all of his adult life in Middlewood Hospital.

Up until his early 20's he was fine then he contracted Meningitis and he went totally doolally. He was admitted to Middlewood and never came out.

When I was very young ( about 5/6/7 yrs old )  I remember going with my sister, mom and an aunty every so often to visit him.  Not something I looked forward to because I was always a bit frightened of him even though he was harmless.  He looked like a tramp, so thin and gaunt with sunken eyes  and lank hair and his clothes used to hang on him. My mom and aunty used to take him sandwiches, cake and chocolate and we used to sit on a wooden bench in the grounds where he would ram the food into his mouth not stopping until it had all gone you'd think he hadn't been fed for a month !  He never said a word, in fact I'm not sure if he knew who we were.  

Then one day ( I think he must have been in his late 40's ) unbeknown to anyone, he walked out of the hospital and was found dead about 8 miles away in one of the Redmires Reservoirs.   Such a sad end to a very sad life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, francypants said:

I had an uncle who spent all of his adult life in Middlewood Hospital.

Up until his early 20's he was fine then he contracted Meningitis and he went totally doolally. He was admitted to Middlewood and never came out.

When I was very young ( about 5/6/7 yrs old )  I remember going with my sister, mom and an aunty every so often to visit him.  Not something I looked forward to because I was always a bit frightened of him even though he was harmless.  He looked like a tramp, so thin and gaunt with sunken eyes  and lank hair and his clothes used to hang on him. My mom and aunty used to take him sandwiches, cake and chocolate and we used to sit on a wooden bench in the grounds where he would ram the food into his mouth not stopping until it had all gone you'd think he hadn't been fed for a month !  He never said a word, in fact I'm not sure if he knew who we were.  

Then one day ( I think he must have been in his late 40's ) unbeknown to anyone, he walked out of the hospital and was found dead about 8 miles away in one of the Redmires Reservoirs.   Such a sad end to a very sad life.

I got the impression he moved to. Longley....

• Haha 2

I once went with School for a day on my final year 1975 and remember being thumped by an old lady.

She was very aggressive and remember she had half of her foot missing and wore specially made shoes.

I have to say I never went again.

I had family members in there to a long time ago.

19 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

I once went with School for a day on my final year 1975 and remember being thumped by an old lady.

She was very aggressive and remember she had half of her foot missing and wore specially made shoes.

I have to say I never went again.

I had family members in there to a long time ago.

Yep full of nut cases heard they moved to rovrum

My father was a psychiatric social worker at Middlewood, much of his time was spent finding jobs and housing for ex-inmates, some weekends he'd be voluntarily decorating their houses, or raising funds at events. It wore him out and led to an early heart attack. People talk too easily and negatively about social work, especially when they've done sod all themselves.