Should prostitutes be made legal

19 hours ago, cressida said:

No,  have to say how can a woman stoop any lower (or how can they risk themselves with the men who use them)

We've all had the same education almost,  so what's wrong with choosing a decent job, and the kids could be bullied at school.

One guy talking about a woman with loose morals said 'she'd let the tide in'.

I remember a few reports in The Star from around a decade or so, when they were starting to smarten up the Kelham area & trying to get rid of the prostitutes down there.  A number of them were actually students at Sheffield University / Hallam University, apparently using the money to pay their debts. 

It takes all sorts. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Draggletail said:

I think that for some people, life circumstances, whether younger or older have left them with no choice other than to sell their bodies for money.

I don't think that it's a choice easily made, more a choice made out of desperation and need.

Tell me about it ! Last time I stood on the Town Hall steps offering my services , they all wanted their money back ! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I remember a few reports in The Star from around a decade or so, when they were starting to smarten up the Kelham area & trying to get rid of the prostitutes down there.  A number of them were actually students at Sheffield University / Hallam University, apparently using the money to pay their debts. 

It takes all sorts. 

They were all driven down there from Havelock Square and the St George's / Jessops area in the early 1990's.   They were all around the maternity (old Jessops) hospital waiting for the new fathers to appear after visiting time.   They keep moving the problem from area to area, but like some have said, they'll never get rid of the oldest profession in the world.

Do we think it might be safer by being moved off the streets into registered brothels?   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Tell me about it ! Last time I stood on the Town Hall steps offering my services , they all wanted their money back ! 

Are you still banging on about that..

You must have mentioned it about 5/6 times on here..

But you never tell anybody about refunding my 2/6d

You did mention it once, and you told me to "Get in the Queue"

Shame on you!

10 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

They were all driven down there from Havelock Square and the St George's / Jessops area in the early 1990's.   They were all around the maternity (old Jessops) hospital waiting for the new fathers to appear after visiting time.   They keep moving the problem from area to area, but like some have said, they'll never get rid of the oldest profession in the world.

Do we think it might be safer by being moved off the streets into registered brothels?   

My bold. 

I don't see why not.  The thing is, once something becomes legal & legitimate & the authorities start demanding tax, there's always someone prepared to undercut & go down the illegal route. 

Also what would constitute a legal registered brothel?  One woman, or man, (you have to cater for all tastes) or a dozen prostitutes? 

And what would happen if your next door neighbour decided they wanted to start up a brothel? 

I wouldn't like it but hypothetically, could I stop a legitimate business from 'working from home'?  After all, it's the done thing these days for many. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

I don't see why not.  The thing is, once something becomes legal & legitimate & the authorities start demanding tax, there's always someone prepared to undercut & go down the illegal route. 

Also what would constitute a legal registered brothel?  One woman, or man, (you have to cater for all tastes) or a dozen prostitutes? 

And what would happen if your next door neighbour decided they wanted to start up a brothel? 

I wouldn't like it but hypothetically, could I stop a legitimate business from 'working from home'?  After all, it's the done thing these days for many. 

I think all tastes as you say could be catered for.  The registered establishments would have to be managed properly by a 'licensee' / manager much like a bar / hotel away from residential / schools areas and  inspected by a local authority regularly.

Do we think locally,  SCC has the resources to manage / enforce any new regulations effectively? 

If prostitution was legalised and operated in a safe environment it would give some woman the option of better protection, goodness knows how many prostitutes are beating by their clients or pimps, I suspect it happens quite a lot. Also if they choose to work in a safer legalised environment they should be offered regular tests for sexual transmitted infections.

45 minutes ago, Padders said:

Are you still banging on about that..

You must have mentioned it about 5/6 times on here..

But you never tell anybody about refunding my 2/6d

You did mention it once, and you told me to "Get in the Queue"

Shame on you!

Have you thought about taking pattricia through the small claims court to get your money back and poor service? Might be an idea you should consider after all of this time.

• Haha 1