Should prostitutes be made legal

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

managed area for the working girls was tried in Holbeck, and some nimby residents with placards  were not happy. 

It was reported later that the number of the working girls dropped by 50%  so the trial was ended. I would wager that the real reason for ending it would due to the nimbys.

You can't blame NIMBY's in this case.  They should be away from residential / school areas.

On 31/08/2024 at 03:10, Slighty batty said:

I get the impression that drug use often comes into it. 

I was watching a programme on TV earlier, Police  Callout 999 or something, and part of it was about prostitution, and one woman police officer said that 99.9% of sex workers did it to finance a drug habit.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Legalise it.

Make a safe space for it.

If anyone wants to sell their body that should really be up to them. 

They take their chances and take big money for the risks.

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

They take their chances and take big money for the risks.

Big money ...  I watched a T.V programme tonight, part of the content was about a police woman who dealt with prostitution, and she commented that the average price was twenty pounds, and if a woman was desperate for money (for heroin) the price could drop to five pounds for intercourse. 😔

4 minutes ago, cressida said:

I'm not judging her but £5 that's coffee money and not enough for heroin surely,  she's on a downward slope unless she chooses rehab as a way out. 

I'm no expert, just quoting what a police officer experienced with 'working women' on the streets said. Four 'customers' at  £5 a time might get her the heroin she needs to see her through for a short time. I've gained the impression that heroin isn't such an expensive drug these days for a deal.

Maybe someone who knows could comment on that?