Should prostitutes be made legal

5 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I'm no expert, just quoting what a police officer experienced with 'working women' on the streets said. Four 'customers' at  £5 a time might get her the heroin she needs to see her through for a short time. I've gained the impression that heroin isn't such an expensive drug these days for a deal.

Maybe someone who knows could comment on that?

I’m not into the drugs scene, but from what I can gather the price of heroin has gone up since the Taliban banned the cultivation of poppies. The big problem now seems to be synthetic opioids such as fentanyl which is cheaper to produce and much more powerful.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

I’m not into the drugs scene, but from what I can gather the price of heroin has gone up since the Taliban banned the cultivation of poppies. The big problem now seems to be synthetic opioids such as fentanyl which is cheaper to produce and much more powerful.

I read about fentanyl about eight years ago on an American blog, its abuse is a seriously big problem in the USA. Many times stronger than heroin (and as such great when used in a medical setting, emergency pain relief for trauma etc.)

I didn't know it had become a problem in the UK. It was only a matter of time I suppose.

• Sad 1

On 01/09/2024 at 13:24, Janus said:

Some of them  might have a decent job, but when they start taking class  A  drugs the decent job is not enough.

The whole area of paying for sex is depressing,  people calling them 'working girls' is an insult to office girls and others who have a decent job,

and yet they are a 'protected species' somehow these days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cressida said:

The whole area of paying for sex is depressing,  people calling them 'working girls' is an insult to office girls and others who have a decent job,

and yet they are a 'protected species' somehow these days.

I think the term "working girls" is relatively new. Language changes and "Prostitution" doesn't seem to be used now, outside the legal profession, or so it seems. I don't know what you mean about "protected species" though. 

As I posted earlier in the thread, anyone selling their bodies for money is a desperate last resort. And if it is for buying heroin then so be it - heroin isn't a luxury, it's a product born of need, a need born from trauma or abuse, or both, or maybe of an addictive personality.

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I have never used heroin, but have known people who have. Just my thoughts. 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

I think the term "working girls" is relatively new.

First time I know it was certainly used in the context of prostitution was on Steely Dan's track "My Old School" from their 1973  album "Countdown to Ecstacy"

"It was still September
When your daddy was quite surprised
To find you with the working girls in the county jail"

McCartney had used the term in  the intro to "Honey Pie" on the 1968 Beatles "White Album"

"She was a working girl

North of England way"

Might have just referred to a lass who had worked in a Mill or similar though - like Gracie Fields.

Edited by Longcol

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

First time I know it was certainly used in the context of prostitution was on Steely Dan's track "My Old School" from their 1973  album "Countdown to Ecstacy"

"It was still September
When your daddy was quite surprised
To find you with the working girls in the county jail"

McCartney had used the term in  the intro to "Honey Pie" on the 1968 Beatles "White Album"

"She was a working girl

North of England way"

Might have just referred to a lass who had worked in a Mill or similar though - like Gracie Fields.

My bold

That's lies. I don't remember that happening 🤔 

On 30/08/2024 at 17:30, cressida said:

No,  have to say how can a woman stoop any lower (or how can they risk themselves with the men who use them)

We've all had the same education almost,  so what's wrong with choosing a decent job, and the kids could be bullied at school.

One guy talking about a woman with loose morals said 'she'd let the tide in'.

Some women get in with wrong crowd & find themselves addicted to drugs , so they turn to whatever means necessary to feed their habit . It's sad .