Wickes car park Moore Street- Is it now free to park there?

4 hours ago, VB Smith said:

Does anyone know if it is free to park here? I work close by & the car park is getting really full every day. If it's free I will also use it but knowing my luck that will be the day we get tickets.

It's a valid enough question, but I can only suggest reading the signs, if they are still there.
Maybe approach Wickes directly, and ask if they are still responsible for the building and continue to have the PPC under contract to protect their assets.

12 minutes ago, redruby said:

Thanks. 

For those wondering the big clue is on the web page:

Chargeable off-site parking is available at Wickes Moore Street (S3 7UW), a 2-minute walk away. This can be booked by visiting Yourparkingspace.com

Never any such thing as a free lunch so anyone thinking they had temporarily bagged a bargain empty car park whilst Wickes gets reoccupied will be likely to be disappointed when they get their parking charge notice in the post.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, peak4 said:

It's a valid enough question, but I can only suggest reading the signs, if they are still there.
Maybe approach Wickes directly, and ask if they are still responsible for the building and continue to have the PPC under contract to protect their assets.

From what I can see from walking past there aren't any signs telling you what to do about paying for parking. There is an old faded sign about about ANPR cameras but the cameras have been removed. 

1 minute ago, VB Smith said:

From what I can see from walking past there aren't any signs telling you what to do about paying for parking. There is an old faded sign about about ANPR cameras but the cameras have been removed. 

Ecconoob has answered everything, read above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ecconoob has answered everything, read above.

But was this when Wickes was open? You did use to be able to pay for parking through an App, as there were signs up & cameras. There are no signs or cameras now, that is why there is confusion.

But why is there confusion.   This is private land.   

Wickes has closed down.   It doesn't automatically mean the land becomes public domain.  Someone owns that.  They are entitled to operate and control it however they want.   They dont need to put any signs up because they are not offering it up as a general car park for anyone to rock up and use. 

The Premier Inn has reached an agreement with the owner of that land to us it specifically for their guest's parking under the terms, charges and conditions set by myparkingspace.  Anyone else rocking and just expecting to park outside of those contractual terms is in the wrong.  They technically  have no right to be there.   They are not visiting the store as the store no longer exists and they have not complied with the specific terms and use set by myparkingspace unless they have booked accordingly. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Thanks. 
For those wondering the big clue is on the web page:

Chargeable off-site parking is available at Wickes Moore Street (S3 7UW), a 2-minute walk away. This can be booked by visiting Yourparkingspace.com

Never any such thing as a free lunch so anyone thinking they had temporarily bagged a bargain empty car park whilst Wickes gets reoccupied will be likely to be disappointed when they get their parking charge notice in the post.  

Surely to have an enforceable contract someone would need to display valid signage at the car park; potential customers can't be expected to search for a random web page they don't know exists.
Maybe its a very new arrangement and the new signs are being printed.
Seems sensible use of the land in the short term; we stopped at one of the hotels nearby, which advertised itself as parking available on site; they didn't explain that on-site was the cheese grater up the road, where discounted parking was available. Fortunately neither of us are disabled.

I think it may be that the use of the car park by Premier Inn is a temporary/ recent arrangement.  I believe they had a multi story car park under the hotel (although with limited space so some guests will have always used alternative parking).  I think this car park is being refurbished and hence why they have the current arrangement with the old Wickes car park.  I’m not 100% sure about this and stand to be corrected but I did recently speak to someone who had stayed there and that was the impression I got.

Oh, and personally I wouldn’t chance parking there without paying even if it isn’t clear if it is chargeable.  Those private parking enforcement companies are notoriously difficult to deal with (even if you can argue their charges aren’t enforceable).  Personally I don’t think it’s worth risking but if anyone thinks they should be able to park there for free due to lack of signage go for it and let us know what happens!

• Like 1