Do some people think their car runs of Fairydust ?

4 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

Many moons ago (before people could look things up on google) I used to help with admin at a garage in Brussels. One day I asked my husband “what’s a gasket? I seem to invoice a lot of them but I don’t know what they are.” He replied that they were “like a round piece of cardboard with a hole in the middle.” Anyway a couple of days later I was in the garage warehouse and I saw a round piece of cardboard with a hole and so I asked one of the men “is that a gasket?” and he said “no madame, it’s a piece of cardboard which we’re using as packing material.” I felt such a pratt. I don’t know how he managed to keep a straight face! 

You were a bit misinformed to be fair. A gasket can come in different shapes, not necessarily round!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

You were a bit misinformed to be fair. A gasket can come in different shapes, not necessarily round!

He probably thought that if he gave me the complete low down about gaskets my eyes would glaze over after about 10 seconds! Funnily enough, after that disastrous start I ended up knowing a fair bit about engines because for a while I had a job processing warranty claims for a truck importer. I’d be useless at fixing a vehicle myself though. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 23:47, lavery549@yahoo said:

As a daughter of a mechanic , we were taught to do basic checks , to make sure our car was running right . Like oil , water ,screen wash , tyre checks etc . Well , what a shock I got when my stupid ex husband got this Talbot Horizon , against both my Dad & his Dad's horror . It was rubbish . He never put oil in , didn't know how to check , so one day , we were driving to Sheffield , got this stink of burning . I said , this car is going to blow !!!! . Did he listen , NO .Off it went . Bye , bye Talbot 

And how many years ago was this?

Like Ive posted before, cars are far more reliable these days, Had my Berlingo for 10 years, 90k on the clock. Serviced annually, only water I need to top up is windscreen washer reservoir,  Apart from that, usual tyre changes and a new battery last year,

Many people believe simultaneously that:

a. battery cars are the future; but

b. 'no thanks', they don't want any nasty power generator plants or cables even for the electricity to power them.

Hence they must be entrusting their power needs to something else. Oofle dust?

On 03/09/2024 at 10:44, alchresearch said:

Just seen on Twitter some muppet bragging that he drove his EV car 100 miles to Sheffield because it was cheaper than a stamp.

Wait until pay per mile is introduced, then he’ll change his mind.😀

echo.

On 31/08/2024 at 14:00, Tipstaff said:

Years ago I bought an old Mini Clubman Estate with a new MOT certificate for £35.  I ran it for 11 months and it never needed any oil or water top-ups.  I didn't spend anything on maintenance and ended up selling it at auction for £50 - Now that's cheap motoring for you!

Ironically, the same car today would probably be worth over £8000

I bought a couple of Moggie Minors in the ‘60s for £25 each. Both of them had integral air con which were holes in the floor.😁

It was ‘driving by the seat of your pants’ in those days because with drum brakes all round you needed half a mile to stop. I also loved the technique of starting it with the handle if the battery was flat.

Don’t know we’re born nowadays.

echo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, echo beach said:

I bought a couple of Moggie Minors in the ‘60s for £25 each. Both of them had integral air con which were holes in the floor.😁

It was ‘driving by the seat of your pants’ in those days because with drum brakes all round you needed half a mile to stop. I also loved the technique of starting it with the handle if the battery was flat.

Don’t know we’re born nowadays.

echo.

I have fond memories of my MM and wish I had a garage, I'd have another one!

7 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I have fond memories of my MM and wish I had a garage, I'd have another one!

My eldest son bought one straight after passing his test, which was 30 years ago and still has it which he uses regularly as a second car. It was a sensible buy back then because being a classic car the special insurance was cheap and it was exempt from road tax and MOTs. When things go wrong it’s simple to repair but like me he’s always been a practical type of lad.

When I was working in school and he lived at home I borrowed it a few times. The pupils were fascinated by it and it always raised a smile. I called it the Marmite car. Some loved it whilst others probably thought ‘look at that old geezer in the jalopy’!😆

Needless to say it’s in my DNA and I still ❤️ it.

echo.

• Like 2