Do some people think their car runs of Fairydust ?

On 30/08/2024 at 22:47, lavery549@yahoo said:

As a daughter of a mechanic , we were taught to do basic checks , to make sure our car was running right . Like oil , water ,screen wash , tyre checks etc . Well , what a shock I got when my stupid ex husband got this Talbot Horizon , against both my Dad & his Dad's horror . It was rubbish . He never put oil in , didn't know how to check , so one day , we were driving to Sheffield , got this stink of burning . I said , this car is going to blow !!!! . Did he listen , NO .Off it went . Bye , bye Talbot 

As part of the driving test you now have to identify the various reservoirs under the bonnet (oil, coolant, screenwash etc) but that's it. 

I have friends who are mechanics/MOT testers and they say the number of test fails that are basic, user fixable, issues such as empty screenwash, wiper blades, bulbs and tyres is scary. 
Too many drivers wait for the MOT to get things checked/fixed and to me that shows a contempt for other road users. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, echo beach said:

My eldest son bought one straight after passing his test, which was 30 years ago and still has it which he uses regularly as a second car. It was a sensible buy back then because being a classic car the special insurance was cheap and it was exempt from road tax and MOTs. When things go wrong it’s simple to repair but like me he’s always been a practical type of lad.

When I was working in school and he lived at home I borrowed it a few times. The pupils were fascinated by it and it always raised a smile. I called it the Marmite car. Some loved it whilst others probably thought ‘look at that old geezer in the jalopy’!😆

Needless to say it’s in my DNA and I still ❤️ it.

echo.

It's in my DNA too.  If I won the lottery, I'd by a house with a big garage and have at least 1 nice MM.

11 hours ago, Resident said:

As part of the driving test you now have to identify the various reservoirs under the bonnet (oil, coolant, screenwash etc) but that's it. 

I have friends who are mechanics/MOT testers and they say the number of test fails that are basic, user fixable, issues such as empty screenwash, wiper blades, bulbs and tyres is scary. 
Too many drivers wait for the MOT to get things checked/fixed and to me that shows a contempt for other road users. 

I completely agree Resident .