Will MP's cut their expences

57 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Instead of defending the indefensible why don't you take note of what goes on in establishment circles?  Matt Hancock was Secretary of State for Health and Social Care when his friend and local pub landlord was given a £30 Million contract to provide PPE despite having no previous experience of the business. The landlord bought a £1.3 million country manor house a few months after getting the deal. 

An owner of an established PPE manufacturing business phoned  BBC Radio 2 to state that he had tried numerous times by email, phone and letter to contact someone to try to provide a quote for supply of his product. He never received the courtesy of a reply.

Obviously it's who you know, not what you know. 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/revealed-full-list-of-firms-given-vip-access-to-lucrative-ppe-deals-301358/

As for how many other occupations are subject to the same scrutiny, my occupation was.  You can still be an MP if you have a criminal record providing that you were not sentenced to more than a year in jail.

No one could be employed in the industry I worked in with a criminal record involving theft, whether or not they received a prison sentence.

There is a serious amount of corruption among our political class whether you wish to believe it or not. We only get to hear about a small amount of it, coverups are endemic to the system " Not in the public interest " is the excuse.

What the hell has any of that crap got to do with whether or not MPs should get expenses? 

Ps:  quoting in the well-known dubious publication The London Economic to try and further argument isn't doing you any favours.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What the hell has any of that crap got to do with whether or not MPs should get expenses? 

Ps:  quoting in the well-known dubious publication The London Economic to try and further argument isn't doing you any favours.  

What the hell does your keyboard warrior style of crap do to persuade anyone to take you seriously?

What it does is illustrate that dodgy dealings in order to line MPs pockets is not only commonplace it's practically institutionalised. Attacking the source of an article instead of addressing the point made doesn't do you any favours either. If you disagree provide alternative facts. 

Don't like a post do what most sensible posters do, ignore it.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

Instead of defending the indefensible why don't you take note of what goes on in establishment circles?  Matt Hancock was Secretary of State for Health and Social Care when his friend and local pub landlord was given a £30 Million contract to provide PPE despite having no previous experience of the business. The landlord bought a £1.3 million country manor house a few months after getting the deal. 

An owner of an established PPE manufacturing business phoned  BBC Radio 2 to state that he had tried numerous times by email, phone and letter to contact someone to try to provide a quote for supply of his product. He never received the courtesy of a reply.

Obviously it's who you know, not what you know. 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/revealed-full-list-of-firms-given-vip-access-to-lucrative-ppe-deals-301358/

As for how many other occupations are subject to the same scrutiny, my occupation was.  You can still be an MP if you have a criminal record providing that you were not sentenced to more than a year in jail.

No one could be employed in the industry I worked in with a criminal record involving theft, whether or not they received a prison sentence.

There is a serious amount of corruption among our political class whether you wish to believe it or not. We only get to hear about a small amount of it, coverups are endemic to the system " Not in the public interest " is the excuse.

This thread is about all MP's expenses not Government Ministers or the 'Establishment'.

You seem unable to differentiate between MP's and Government, especially the vast majority of MP's who have no role or influence in Government. The world of the average MP is very different to that of a Government minister, who usually share their London accommodation, have one paid for head of a shared office or even a desk in an office far away from the Commons. IPSA keeps a very tight control over their expenditure -even the envelopes. 

Government Ministers will have a flock of apparatchiks covering for them while a plain  MP will be thrown to the wolves to be made an example of if they embarrass the Party.

Of course their are always exceptions like the MP who owns his own Party and recently declared an income of nearly £1million for a 35 hour from the far-right media (having previously worked for Russia Today).

If you have any concerns about MP finances contact you should contact IPSA’s Compliance Officer  at compliance@theipsa.org.uk.Private Ee wo

4 hours ago, m williamson said:

What the hell does your keyboard warrior style of crap do to persuade anyone to take you seriously?

What it does is illustrate that dodgy dealings in order to line MPs pockets is not only commonplace it's practically institutionalised. Attacking the source of an article instead of addressing the point made doesn't do you any favours either. If you disagree provide alternative facts. 

Don't like a post do what most sensible posters do, ignore it.   

I have a better idea.  How about you start a thread of your own so you can rant away about corruption in government, covid contracts, wealth, privilege.....

You clearly have little more to add to this topic on the discussion

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I have a better idea.  How about you start a thread of your own so you can rant away about corruption in government, covid contracts, wealth, privilege.....

You clearly have little more to add to this topic on the discussion

You do understand that this is a local Sheffield Forum and not the Oxford Debating Society don't you?  There is nothing to stop someone widening the debate if they wish to do so is there?

Unless I've missed something no one has appointed you arbiter of what may or may not be posted. Pomposity isn't an admirable character trait.

You need to calm down, you appear to get upset over the most trivial matters. Why not adopt my suggestion and simply ignore posts you don't like? It'll be good for your blood pressure, if nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

You do understand that this is a local Sheffield Forum and not the Oxford Debating Society don't you?  There is nothing to stop someone widening the debate if they wish to do so is there?

Unless I've missed something no one has appointed you arbiter of what may or may not be posted. Pomposity isn't an admirable character trait.

You need to calm down, you appear to get upset over the most trivial matters. Why not adopt my suggestion and simply ignore posts you don't like? It'll be good for your blood pressure, if nothing else.

Those  last few sentences could apply to you . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m williamson said:

I am generally quite happy for topics to wander, but this is not a local Sheffield forum, it's for general discussion. There is a local Sheffield one, which I seldom comment on because I am not from Sheffield.

10 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Those  last few sentences could apply to you . 

The return of emoji boy.  The last time we met I asked you a question and you chose to disappear. Let me ask you again, try to provide an answer this time if you can .

I'd responded to another poster by asking a perfectly reasonable question given their comment. The comment implied that they were aware of something about the subject that I had no knowledge of. So I asked them what it was that they knew.

At which point you chose to jump in with a comment about me being angry.

Please explain, what was it about asking a question that made you infer that I was angry?

For your information I seldom get angry and when I do it's as a result of something worth getting angry about. My most common emotion on this forum and life in general is amusement.

Don't run away this time, answer the question if you can.

21 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am generally quite happy for topics to wander, but this is not a local Sheffield forum, it's for general discussion. There is a local Sheffield one, which I seldom comment on because I am not from Sheffield.

It's called Sheffield Forum and most posters have some Sheffield connection..

Anyone is welcome to post on it but not to start dictating the terms, unless they are a mod.

• Like 1