The Vehicle Insurance Scam.

A few weeks ago my neighbour had his car hit outside his home. A builders wagon delivering materials to the petrol station being built was the culprit, or rather the culprits wagon. He was a genuine bloke though and admitted fault immediately, gave us his details etc. 

Anyhow. I notified my neighbours insurance, gave them all the details and waited. Anyhow the owner of the company the wagon belonged to rocked up and offered to pay my neighbour directly. 

He was happy with that so we cancelled the claim and the chap on the phone said it won't increase his premiums because it wasn't his fault and the claim was cancelled anyway.

By chance his insurance was due for renewal at the same time so he renewed it only to find it had increased despite the fact he wasn't at fault, wasn't claiming against his own insurance as the other guy admitted fault, in fact no insurance company paid anything out as it was done privately but his insurance still went up and his insurers said it was because his car had been hit.

Talk about a great big scam..

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/do-non-fault-claims-need-to-be-declared/

Does declaring a non-fault claim affect my insurance?

Yes, it will be recorded on your claims history. In many cases, your premiums will go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim. This is because your insurance provider will view you as a higher risk in future, even if an accident wasn’t your fault.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, BigPP said:

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/do-non-fault-claims-need-to-be-declared/

Does declaring a non-fault claim affect my insurance?

Yes, it will be recorded on your claims history. In many cases, your premiums will go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim. This is because your insurance provider will view you as a higher risk in future, even if an accident wasn’t your fault.

Yup. Like I say it's a scam. There's absolutely no reason an innocent party should be penalised for someone else's actions. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, echo beach said:

Insurance companies work on the basis of NO CLAIM not NO BLAME.

echo.

Most also have knock for knock agreements with other insurers whereby they pay for repairs to their insured’s vehicle even if they were totally innocent. That negates the

problem of litigation in every case which, as we all know, is expensive.

echo.

23 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I've always wondered if its possible to sue the other party for the sum your insurance has gone up because its not your fault.

That’s possible but how would you prove that the increase is solely down to that one incident? It also involves costs taking the case to court.

Premiums are increasing due to inflationary pressures and the fact that modern vehicles are far more sophisticated and complicated and therefore more expensive to repair.

My eldest son runs a Moggy Minor. Cheap as chips to run, insure and easy to repair!😁

echo.

3 hours ago, echo beach said:

That’s possible but how would you prove that the increase is solely down to that one incident?

Screenshots of quotes - one where it shows no accidents, claims and convictions, and one where it does.

I have always firmly believed that any product or services that is required by law should be state owned & operated. 

In the hands of for-profit corporations their only concern is the profit margin. 

• Like 1