Millionaires, good or bad?

Why do some people have a problem with millionaires?

It's not a great deal of money these days, but still, no reason for the negativity. I don't fully own my own house yet, but I would love to be a millionaire.

Wouldn't you, do you have a favourite millionaire?

Some, many, give to charitable causes.

https://www.jrct.org.uk/

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

It's not a great deal of money these days, but still, no reason for the negativity. I don't fully own my own house yet, but I would love to be a millionaire.

I don't, I agree it's not much these days.

I'm not sure that most people do have a problem with millionaires, particularly when you take property values into account.
Many folk, me included, do have an issue with the  rich who secrete their wealth in off-shore bank accounts to avoid tax.

Some people do like to use the term as a means of criticism, but that often involves hypocrisy, sometimes of the commentator, but also often of the person criticised.

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

I'm not sure that most people do have a problem with millionaires, particularly when you take property values into account.
Many folk, me included, do have an issue with the  rich who secrete their wealth in off-shore bank accounts to avoid tax.

Some people do like to use the term as a means of criticism, but that often involves hypocrisy, sometimes of the commentator, but also often of the person criticised.

Why? 

Lots of ordinary non-millionaires take steps to legally avoid / reduce their tax liabilities. They place things into trusts, they gift things out to their children, they sign up to pension schemes, they put their savings into ISA accounts, they utilise accountants to claim various allowances on business expenditures, charitable donations, they  take advantage of tax-free shopping facilities, they will make sure they maximise their personal spousal and residency band rates....

Tax avoidance is legal. If people don't like that, they can campaign to their MPs and parliament to change the law. However, until such time as they do, no one has a right to be criticising anyone else about using legal tax avoidance. 

Quite rightly, millionaires will have the most interest in taking such measures because they are at risk of having the biggest tax liability.  But it's all relative. If ordinary people can freely use tax avoidance / tax reduction measures without criticism, why do people think they're the right to criticise those with wealth. They are simply doing exactly the same just on a bigger scale.   

Seems like those critics are just showing pure jealousy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, peak4 said:

I have a SIPP which gives me a legal tax advantage, how many ordinary people would invest their money in a bank in Jersey that offered a higher interest rate and tax-free?

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have a SIPP which gives me a legal tax advantage, how many ordinary people would invest their money in a bank in Jersey that offered a higher interest rate and tax-free?

All of them.

But some would come on the internet and say it's wrong for appearance sake. 

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

All relative obviously. A million might not be a lot to some, but to someone struggling on benefits or homeless, it's an unattainable fortune beyond dreams....

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I'm a good man today . If I win millions on the lottery tomorrow , would I become a bad man  ? 

I suppose that might be judged by some people on how you choose to spend it...

Edited by Draggletail
typo