If you could go in a time machine -where would you go ?

11 hours ago, echo beach said:

Well wearysmith you keep the 70’s and leave the ‘60s to Padders, me and the few other ‘golden oldies’ who are still knocking around.
You were obviously too young to appreciate that decade as I was with the ‘40s but it still doesn’t stop me enjoying the good music from that era.
Everyone to their own. Just don’t ask me to wax lyrical about Punk!😆

echo.

echo.

You can claim it buddy. Yeah, of course, there were fabulous acts in the 60s. The Move, the Fabs, Stones, Kinks etc etc. Saw some of them. 

But nothing can compare to the music you connected with when you were around 11 to 15. That was 'your' music. Your time. My ma got it. We both listen to Alice Cooper together. Sat with my da and played him Hawkwind and he was totally bemused by what I got from 'Silver Machine' 😀.

Also, the Punk thing was a 'you had to be there' movement. Was lucky enough to see The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers, Sham 69, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Damned, the Adverts..... Never experienced crowd-energy like it, before or since - and I've seen Zeppelin, the biggest act on the planet. You didn't get Punk? I can only say your loss mate. 

....and don't get me started on the 80s. That's where music went all wrong.......

Edited by wearysmith

‘You didn’t get Punk?  I can only say your loss mate.’

I lived through it pal but by that time was married and had responsibilities.

Youth has always had a rebellious streak and Punk was exactly that.

Thing is I’ve never been an anarchist, anti-establishment, anti-mainstream, anti-commercial or very angry so the nihilistic music that was Punk never dovetailed with what I liked.

My loss? Sure.😆 Your gain? Good for you. Pleased you enjoyed it.

echo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

....and don't get me started on the 80s. That's where music went all wrong.......

Gen X reporting in.  Most of the 80s was excellent for music.  I can pinpoint where it started to go wrong: 1988.  Stock, Aitkin and Waterman at their peak of pumping out excrementally awful tat from various Neighbours actors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, echo beach said:

‘You didn’t get Punk?  I can only say your loss mate.’

I lived through it pal but by that time was married and had responsibilities.

Youth has always had a rebellious streak and Punk was exactly that.

Thing is I’ve never been an anarchist, anti-establishment, anti-mainstream, anti-commercial or very angry so the nihilistic music that was Punk never dovetailed with what I liked.

My loss? Sure.😆 Your gain? Good for you. Pleased you enjoyed it.

echo.

Yeah, it wasn't really for old people. I get why some didn't gel with it. I'm the same with Rap, Hip-Hop and Grunge. In one ear and out of the other. Like Midge said, "It means nothing to me....".

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Gen X reporting in.  Most of the 80s was excellent for music.  I can pinpoint where it started to go wrong: 1988.  Stock, Aitkin and Waterman at their peak of pumping out excrementally awful tat from various Neighbours actors.

Again, some marvellous acts around in the 80s. Bought loads by Big Country, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, INXS, Dexy's Midnight Runners....

But my problem was there was too many one-fingered floppy-haired mincey talentless t*ats around that strangled a lot of genuine talent getting through. More about their sexuality, make up and pout rather than music.

Not for me.

24 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

My mate's brother is such an avid fan of Stock, Aitkin and Waterman that when SAW  need any biographical info or obscure release, they refer to him rather than themselves, mad isn't it. Another chap I know owns a piece of studio gear from SAW studios that has an impression of Kylie's breast on it that has a plastic film over it to preserve it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Another chap I know owns a piece of studio gear from SAW studios that has an impression of Kylie's breast on it that has a plastic film over it to preserve it.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why wouldn't you?