Squirrels

When I lived in Sheffield at Grenoside there was grey squirrels all over the place especially in the gardens, but since I’ve moved to Newcastle I have never seen one.  I’ve had two quick sightings of red squirrels in the Newcastle area in places I never expected to see them.  There use to be a phone number when I first moved to Newcastle asking you to report any sightings of the greys and if in your garden they wanted to put traps down to catch them, if caught they would be humanely destroyed, it was to protect the red squirrels in Northumberland.

After watching a programme I haven’t got much sympathy for the Greys, they are extremely destructive at stripping bark from trees, and it’s not for food, the experts say they have no idea why but they need to be stopped because of damage to woodland ecosystems.

The scientists are working on contraceptives for the greys to hopefully eradicate them in the UK and it’s showing good  results.

On 04/09/2024 at 07:01, gaz 786 said:

I've got squirrel trouble bought a squirrel proof bird feeder works great but they keep invading my feeder don't want to shot them any deterants available ? 

20240904_065133.jpg

Oh Gaz , please don't shoot the squirrel , I am sure there are other ways of stopping it 

• Like 1

Tree rats.  Nice to look at but that's it there destructive and not only do they raid bird tables they eat birds eggs and young if they can .

Reds are a different story wish there was more of them the greys are pushing them out of there habitats one good thing greys are edible never tried one but l think there are recipes back in Mrs Beeton times😆

4 minutes ago, Mooks said:

Tree rats.  Nice to look at but that's it there destructive and not only do they raid bird tables they eat birds eggs and young if they can .

Reds are a different story wish there was more of them the greys are pushing them out of there habitats one good thing greys are edible never tried one but l think there are recipes back in Mrs Beeton times😆

I must dig out my 19century  Mrs Beeton book now.  Prefer red squirrels.

Edited by cressida

17 minutes ago, Mooks said:

You could buy grey squirrel meat at a shop not to far from me in Corbridge Northumberland, I don’t fancy it tho.