Are charity ads going too far?

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

In my opinion it's all about lining the CEOs pockets.  I think some of their tactics are despicable.  I always think of that old definition, "Charities, a way of taking money from the poor and giving to the rich."

Again, this is why supporting the smaller, local charities that you can see where your money is going is better than the bigger national or international ones (in my opinion).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

In my opinion it's all about lining the CEOs pockets.  I think some of their tactics are despicable.  I always think of that old definition, "Charities, a way of taking money from the poor and giving to the rich."

And that is a reason I don’t give cash to charities 

Years ago, possibly the 1990s, I noticed when charities started doing adverts on TV depicting starving and distressed children at teatime. 

I know charities have to be hard hitting but that was incredibly cynical, and it wouldn't surprise me if it back fired.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

Years ago, possibly the 1990s, I noticed when charities started doing adverts on TV depicting starving and distressed children at teatime. 

I know charities have to be hard hitting but that was incredibly cynical, and it wouldn't surprise me if it back fired.

Far from it — it was exceptionally successful. Hence why more and more charities continue to advertise on TV with similar tactics today (especially on cheaper channels where they get more coverage to a more niche audience of affluent, often lonely older women who empathise with many causes — a key demographic for most of these charities).

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

where they get more coverage to a more niche audience of affluent, often lonely older women who empathise with many causes — a key demographic for most of these charities).

Easier to fleece, then?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I wonder if the salaries of the boards of directors and CEO's  of some of these charities make astonishing reading?

Fairly easy to find out the CEO salary info

18 hours ago, cressida said:

Noticed some of the African ads have been the same ones for years,  the children would be adult now,  and the donkey and dog ads have been the same ones for quite a few years now.

It's always the children carrying the buckets of contaminated water.   What are the parents doing, making more children?

• Like 1