Article: Britons are most considerate drivers in the world.

A wave of the hand, a flash of the lights – we’re always letting each other in and thanking each other for it. We don’t know how lucky we are.
I met a middle-aged American couple who had been driving around the UK. Although they had enjoyed the experience, they had a question for me: why are all your drivers so angry? They’re always flashing their lights at us, they said. I explained that unless this was because someone had felt the Americans had no business in the fast lane of a motorway, they had got it all wrong – we generally flash our lights at people to let them in. Let us in, they echoed in wonder. Yes, you know, let you in, as in: after you, sir; or, please, madam, drive on. Right, they said, doubtfully.

I think the British may be the world’s most accommodating, considerate – or least inconsiderate – drivers. Obviously, I’ve not driven everywhere, but I have been behind the wheel around most of Europe and a little on nearly every other continent. In my experience, we are the best at letting others in from slip roads, allowing fellow motorway drivers to change lanes or join from a junction, making way on single-track roads and so on. All facilitated with a wave of a hand or a flash of the lights and similar in return, by way of acknowledgment.

Admittedly, I am an enthusiast for this kind of thing. Pitiably anxious to be liked, I’ll let anyone slip in front of me in return for a bit of love. Such is my generosity that my passengers have been known to despair of ever getting where we’re going thanks to my need to win friends along the way.

I try to spread this love when I’m abroad, but this has been a hard road travelled. Nobody lets you in; nobody thanks you for letting them in. In Croatia last month, as I desperately sought acknowledgment, my generosity got ever more extreme. No driver who wanted to move into my path was denied; all were waved at or flashed in. And nothing. Not a flicker of gratitude came my way.
I finally gave up after coming to a complete halt to allow a woman to nose out of an awkward spot. She looked at me at first as if I had lost my mind and then, as she sped away, she shot me a glance of what I can only describe as withering contempt. Enough, I decided. No more Mr Nice Guy – until I’m back in Blighty, being every motorist’s best mate.

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster, writer and Guardian columnist

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/sep/05/britons-are-most-considerate-drivers-in-the-world

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

With the exception of Greek, Turkish and drivers in Paris, not the rest of France, I generally find driving standards in Europe to be better than ours.

I always found courtesy between drivers, giving way to others to be exceptional in Sheffield at least, and understand the good feeling described by the author of the article.

I would probably have to agree with Mr Chiles, however as I've mentioned previously on here, it's very rare a woman driver will  let you in, especially young ones.

Maybe they let other women drivers in, I don't know.

One of my pet hates about Eastern Europe is the lack of a thank you or a wave if you let someone in or give them way,  very annoying, they do however flash their lights at you to warn you of a police car futher ahead.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I would probably have to agree with Mr Chiles, however as I've mentioned previously on here, it's very rare a woman driver will  let you in, especially young ones.

Maybe they let other women drivers in, I don't know.

One of my pet hates about Eastern Europe is the lack of a thank you or a wave if you let someone in or give them way,  very annoying, they do however flash their lights at you to warn you of a police car futher ahead.

I agree. Women rarely let anyone out or in. Women also in my experience are by far the most ignorant section of road users. 

After BMW, Audi and Merc drivers obviously. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, The_DADDY said:

I agree. Women rarely let anyone out or in. Women also in my experience are by far the most ignorant section of road users. 

After BMW, Audi and Merc drivers obviously. 

Indeed.

Most blokes I know all say the same. 

It's as if they can't be seen giving way for a man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

With the exception of Greek, Turkish and drivers in Paris, not the rest of France, I generally find driving standards in Europe to be better than ours.

Turkey is interesting (in many ways). The driving there looks, on the face of it, to be chaotic, but I think there is a lot of give and take going on, it's just a lot less structured and rule based than in the UK. It's like a constant fitting around each other, where you can do most things as long as you do it slowly enough that people can get out of the way. 

Unlike India, which is a full-on mental free-for-all that no westerner should attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1