Would you change your religion for marriage ?

8 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

I must admit I have a great deal of respect for many people that have faith.

Although I’m not religious and there are times when I wish I was, I would never say to a religious friend that religion is a load of old rubbish, life is hard at times, and if religion helps a person to cope with life’s problems than I would never criticise their faith. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Religion is something I'll never really understand. Sure its nice to think there is some benevolent creator up above who loves you and will be there in the after life. But to let it control your life in such a way?

That's a big no from me. Like you, I think that's awful. 

Probably depends on what you mean by 'control'.

Another angle to counter that, is  to ask, "then do you want to be your own god?"

Do as you please etc..right or wrong, good or bad.

I personally don't think all religions place restrictions as its made out. Some cult like ones-then I'd say yes.

Anyway,  I have known some ppl who changed faith, or from no faith to a faith.  As another poster said,  the Abrahamic faiths are similar- but it's usually the fundamentals that would need to be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Some people change their religion so they can marry someone from a different one . I have Jehovah's witnesses in my family . One of them told her husband that they could no longer be married if he didn't convert . That to me is awful 

No it would be making a mockery of religion,  we have JWs on our road,  someone said I couldn't send a Xmas card to them.

• Like 2

The most overwhelming emotion in life is when you love someone.

If part of that person is being religious then I’d accept that and marry them.

I’m not particularly religious but realise that many people are and it’s their right to live life as they choose to providing it doesn’t harm others.

echo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Did he know that she had joined this 'cult' or did she just spring it upon him one day?  I don't think that anyone should be forced into joining anything.

Yes he did know she joined this cult & I believe that is what it is . But ,I think he thought it wouldn't make any difference . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

The most overwhelming emotion in life is when you love someone.

If part of that person is being religious then I’d accept that and marry them.

I’m not particularly religious but realise that many people are and it’s their right to live life as they choose to providing it doesn’t harm others.

echo.

That's fine echo , but it did harm her husband , because he wasn't allowed any contact with his kids after the divorce .

2 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

That's fine echo , but it did harm her husband , because he wasn't allowed any contact with his kids after the divorce .

Yes sadly that can happen. I’ve seen it with one of our friends. In the vast majority of cases the courts side with the mother which isn’t always the best outcome for the children.

Some women become very vindictive after after a relationship breaks down (as can some men) and stop access of their children to grandparents as well as ex’s.

It’s an imperfect world we live in.

echo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I feel sorry for the kids , not being able to receive birthday cards & presents ,Christmas cards & presents like normal kids do . This guys kids went from being a normal family ,to having their whole life turned upside down ,due to her joining this cult