Did you make dens when you were a kid ?

We made some brilliant ones on the field behind Deerlands Avenue.     Some of them were semi-permanent,  we could keep going back to them for years.      If it was one we'd cut into the bank there'd be seating areas &  "secret passages".        Occasionally other kids would bomb it in but mostly they didn't.

We also  made dens in our own garden using my mom's wooden clothes horse and my dad's old grey army blanket, or a piece of lino.    if it was civilised enough we'd have our dinner in it,     potted meat sandwiches & Tizer,   or on skint days bread & jam & water.

I don't think we ever slept out in them though,   we only did that when we had a tent.

• Like 1

Yup. We had dens. Ahhhh great days.

Getting out of the rain in our little den. Watching people go by and giggling at the fact they couldn't see us. Playing cards, reading nuddy mags then starting a fire to cook the sausages we'd robbed from home and almost burning our faces off in the process  then going home stinking of smoke and trying to convince our parents we hadn't been lighting fires. We never managed it. God we were thick 🤣

Great days indeed 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lovelace said:

Yes,  we used the kitchen table if there was a thunderstorm, made it more dramatic.      

My maternal Grandma used to hide on the cellar head in thunder storms. I think it was too much like the blitz for her. 
echo.

• Sad 2

I suppose it gave us a grounding in survival skills.      My sister would have cooked a few worms but I was too chicken to try it.   We never went home clean & tidy that's for sure.

• Haha 1

Just now, echo beach said:
16 minutes ago, lovelace said:

Yes,  we used the kitchen table if there was a thunderstorm, made it more dramatic.      

My maternal Grandma used to hide on the cellar head in thunder storms. I think it was too much like the blitz for her. 
echo.

Exactly the same with mine.     

Just now, hackey lad said:

One of the lads wouldn’t go home when his Mam sent his big brother for him . Piece of carpet over the “chimney “ and he lasted about 2 minutes. 😀 . Like a scene from an old Western  😂

Smoked the critters out did they?😁

echo.

3 minutes ago, echo beach said:
19 minutes ago, lovelace said:

echo.

During a thunderstorm , my old Grandma used to open all the doors and windows so if a fireball landed in the house it could make it’s way out 😂😂😂

• Like 1