Why in UK ,can we not cope in extreme weather ?

11 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Every time there is really bad weather, we just can't cope . Be it heatwaves , bad snow , heavy rain .What do you think the problem is ? 

People.

Many folk are just so useless and entitled they are not capable of dealing with anything outside of their bubble.

Pathetic really.

• Like 1

The main problem as previously mentioned we rarely get extreme weather, we live in a temperate climate surrounded by sea, which tends to keep us relatively warm and wet. But also technology's improved so that the extremes tend to affect us less, with the possible exception of floods.

I've heard weatherman, Paul Hudson, complaining many times about the Met Office issuing weather warnings, many of which he believes are unnecessary & he works for the Met Office. 

There's a Met Office weather warning for S. Yorkshire today for the rain, thunder & lightning. 

12 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Every time there is really bad weather, we just can't cope . Be it heatwaves , bad snow , heavy rain .What do you think the problem is ? 

The attitudes of many these days - 'I'll do what I want, even it is a ridiculous idea, and if I get it wrong, I'll just inconvenience others, or expect them to get me out of the hole I've dug myself into'. IMO, of course.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

Coped very well during the 40 years I lived in Sheffield. We have heavier rain and hotter heatwaves here in France - really no problem.

Bad snow - well a couple of times since the late 60's which lasted for a couple of days tops. Left the car at home and walked to work.

Sheffield had extreme weather once for one day in 2007 when there were floods,

Excuse me , what about The Beast from the East then . I couldn't get into work for only the 2nd time ever due to the snow 

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The attitudes of many these days - 'I'll do what I want, even it is a ridiculous idea, and if I get it wrong, I'll just inconvenience others, or expect them to get me out of the hole I've dug myself into'. IMO, of course.

Very true , like people driving small cars through the floods & cry when the car gets damaged & gives up . Idiotic 

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

And the horrendous flooding in Catcliffe , & earlier Hebden Bridge 

B

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

And the horrendous flooding in Catcliffe , & earlier Hebden Bridge 

Well you started the thread asking why we can't cope with extream weather?  Well that's the point it's extream & unexpected.  Not the norm.  

The Beast from the East was back in 2018.  Nothing like it in the last 5 years.  The worst fall of snow I can remember round these parts before that was back in 2010 I think? 

As for the likes of Catcliffe, it was less about the weather & more about the idiots who allowed housing development on a flood plain. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

B

Well you started the thread asking why we can't cope with extream weather?  Well that's the point it's extream & unexpected.  Not the norm.  

The Beast from the East was back in 2018.  Nothing like it in the last 5 years.  The worst fall of snow I can remember round these parts before that was back in 2010 I think? 

As for the likes of Catcliffe, it was less about the weather & more about the idiots who allowed housing development on a flood plain. 

Yes , but that doesn't help all those that lost their houses though . And it's not that long , 2018 . Now we get all this damn storms .