When a meal goes wrong

I got an invite for dinner from an elderly neighbour a number of years ago and it was tripe and onion, I had a few mouthfuls and had to leave it. Don’t know why she made that for dinner because she was a lovely cook.  She was in her 80s and made her own bread, I always got a few bread cakes each week.

• Like 1

People are drawn like a moth to a flame when it comes to kitchen mistakes:

One single female friend, finally meets a suitable man, he invites her to his for dinner and asks is there anything you don’t like? She says I like everything except seaweed. She gets to his and he says surprise, I’m going to prove to you that you love seaweed and proceeds to serve seaweed as an integral part of every course. It bombs and they never see each other again.

Another female friend who doesn’t cook for anyone else the whole year round is on holiday with us in a group of about 10, it gets to her night to cook for everyone and she attempts the most ambitious Thai meal possible, it all goes completely to **** with rice/noodles turning to wallpaper paste and the sauce curdling to lumps, we sit around the table saying it’s actually quite nice while she sobs.

Lately my good lady has been making some nice things in the kitchen, but for many years I would rush home from work to stop her attempting a once a month effort that would be inspired by a lovely looking swede recipe she’d seen, or turnip and chard casserole.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

You are invited to your friends house for a meal . The meal comes & there is something you hate . What do you do ? 

Surely if they are friends long enough to reach having dinner with, they should have a  basic knowledge of things that you hate to eat.

OR, if they are friends, you should have no problem being able to apologise and politely decline you cant eat it because.....

It if neither of those things can be applied then you have to ask if you are actually at the friends level with them.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Surely if they are friends long enough to reach having dinner with, they should have a  basic knowledge of things that you hate to eat.

OR, if they are friends, you should have no problem being able to apologise and politely decline you cant eat it because.....

It if neither of those things can be applied then you have to ask if you are actually at the friends level with them.  

I agree , if they are real friends , they really wouldn't serve me baked beans & jacket potato 🤣

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I got an invite for dinner from an elderly neighbour a number of years ago and it was tripe and onion, I had a few mouthfuls and had to leave it. Don’t know why she made that for dinner because she was a lovely cook.  She was in her 80s and made her own bread, I always got a few bread cakes each week.

Oh my Dad loved that , Mum used to go to Barnsley Market to get it & gipped 😅

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Oh my Dad loved that , Mum used to go to Barnsley Market to get it & gipped 😅

My Mum and Dad use to love shopping at Barnsley and walking round the old market. When my Dad could no longer drive I use to occasionally take them, it’s only a small shopping centre but nicely compact. It’s ideal if you have mobility problems. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

My Mum and Dad use to love shopping at Barnsley and walking round the old market. When my Dad could no longer drive I use to occasionally take them, it’s only a small shopping centre but nicely compact. It’s ideal if you have mobility problems. 

I do like Barnsley ,hauxwell , it's got such character , love Chesterfield too 

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why ? 

Because , as a child , Mum used to constantly give baked beans & mash , or boiled potatoes & I hated it . Since then , I can eat beans on their own , or with chips , but not with normal potato & that includes jackets . I am emotionally scarred hackey , emotionally scarred 🤣

• Haha 1