Which Job?

I used to work in logistics. Most of the warehouse staff (with the exception of the supervisors) were on zero hours contracts. They’d get a text message at 18:00 telling them if they were needed the next day or not. Hours would be unpredictable. If containers missed a connection or got delayed, people might get sent home at only 10:00 but if there was more work than expected they might be asked to stay on late, into the evening. There were certainly lots of female employees picking, packing, order planning. The fork lift drivers weren’t all blokes. I think the unpredictable hours made warehouse work unattractive for women with kids though, difficult to arrange child care at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Someone sat typing in to a spreadsheet shouldnt be paid the same as someone who is a licensed forklift driver.

The person typing into a spreadsheet might not have the ability to operate a forklift truck, and the person operating the forklift truck might not have the ability to type into the spreadsheet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

The person typing into a spreadsheet might not have the ability to operate a forklift truck, and the person operating the forklift truck might not have the ability to type into the spreadsheet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

From each according to their means, to each according to their needs, now where have I heard that before.

17 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

From each according to their means, to each according to their needs, now where have I heard that before.

Marx, isn't it. I have to say that I've never been a Marxist, but that quote struck a chord with me, years back.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sedentary they may be, but that doesn't mean their role is any less important to the company. Women's work is still  consistently undervalued for all sorts of reasons. Not least in the home. If they come face to face with the public that also puts them at a certain amount of risk.

In spite of years of 'equality' IMO women are still at a disadvantage in the workplace.

Taking time out for pregnancy, child care issues and elder care (which still seem to be seen as mainly female concern) means they may be  less likely to be considered for promotions etc. and female pay is still generally lower than men's ( 80% of the average male wage I believe.) Yes of course there are exceptions, and yes there is legislation in place to cover such issues, but still they persist. There's more than one way to kill a cat...

I remember when I was teaching attending a lecture on equality and treating children without any gender bias. someone asked pointedly what the position was regarding male/female headteachers. The lecturer sheepishly admitted that in spite of there being fewer male teachers than female, men made up the majority of headships....

The same was probably true in many other walks of life.

i do hope that position has changed somewhat, but I doubt it...

When I was working - 25+ years ago - it was the job that was graded, not the person.

• Thanks 1