U.K. PRISONS

I really do pity the officers looking after our overcrowded and vicious prison population these days.  HM Government should have built more prisons years ago.  They were warned by HMPS and others and it wouldn't surprise me if we were to see prison riots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are over 9,000 foreign prisoners taking up cells so why not give them all 10 strokes with the birch and deport them, regardless of their human rights. This government are now releasing drug dealers and domestic abusers onto the streets to make room for people who write unpleasant things on facebook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I really don't understand why we can't build more prisons...I just don't get it.

You would also need people to run them.

A better solution would be to jail fewer people and make better use of community punishments/restorative justice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, despritdan said:

There are over 9,000 foreign prisoners taking up cells so why not give them all 10 strokes with the birch and deport them, regardless of their human rights. This government are now releasing drug dealers and domestic abusers onto the streets to make room for people who write unpleasant things on facebook.

Don’t start bringing common sense into the equation, we live in stupid land, enough folk voted for it after all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Because people don’t want one close to them, let’s face it I wouldn’t, would you?

Build it where there are less people to complain, or next to something no-one wants to live near in the first place.

Next to a nuclear power station, next to a sewage works, on an old landfill or old quarry site, next to an existing landfill, on disused industrial land.

There seems to be no end of places Amazon can slap massive logistics warehouses in, but somehow we're completely unable to build more prison capacity?

Total rubbish.  No-one wants to bother building one, so potential sites are put to alternative uses.

Doncaster airport is another decent site coming up, when it inevitably goes into administration again.  That place is absolutely huge, a super sized prison could be built and several smaller units closed down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I really don't understand why we can't build more prisons...I just don't get it.

courtesy of AI:

Cost
Building new prisons is extremely expensive, with each new cell costing at least £630,000. 

Local opposition
New prisons can put a strain on local public services and residents living nearby often oppose them. 

Community sentences
According to the MoJ, community sentences are more effective than short prison sentences at reducing crime. 

Over-reliance on imprisonment
Some believe that the UK relies too much on imprisonment, which takes resources away from other work. 

and:

It is time to stop building prisons

https://howardleague.org/blog/it-is-time-to-stop-building-prisons/