U.K. PRISONS

The prison overcrowding crisis has been brewing for years; I've known about it as a pure bystander, with no expert knowledge or experience in the field, so I can't believe the previous government weren't aware as well.
I can't be bothered routing through my old bookmarks now, but this one is from today, though the real issue predate this timewise.
Boris Johnson ‘binned’ solution to prisons crisis as prime minister, claims Dominic Cummings  Independent.
Former Tory adviser says the problem in jails was predicted ‘years ago’ and was also ignored by ex-PMs Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak

This is from 2021
Nina Hodžić: The sad irony of prisons in the UK

Home Secretary Priti Patel MP says she’s tough on crime. If lower crime rates are her goal, she should turn her attention towards Britain’s prison system, currently churning out repeat offenders.

With one of the highest imprisonment rates in Western Europe and at an occupancy level of 104% on average (and in some areas much higher), the pressure is building and something has to give.

The UK must look to the example set by other nations and pursue prison reform.

At first glance, the Norwegian prison system may appear simply too expensive to be palatable, especially in an economy scarred by coronavirus.

In Norway, a place at Halden Prison costs roughly £98,000 per year. But in England and Wales it costs £41,000, certainly a significant difference in cost.  

However, these figures are not the end of the story.

In the UK, around 60% of released inmates go on to reoffend within a two-year period.

But in Norway the reoffending rate is only 20% after two years.

Partly as a result, Norway has almost three times fewer inmates than the UK, with prisons operating at a capacity of 73%, as opposed to 104% in England and Wales. 

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It seems that in the years leading up to an election, it wasn't a good time for Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, and Rishi Sunak too.

Former Tory Advsisor says the problem in jails was predicted ‘years ago’ and was ignored by ex-PMs Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, and Rishi Sunak

Well Starmers got his chance now! If he’s not happy about it, don’t let them out. By the way it was a cleaver move imposing over the top sentences to the daft rioters? Wasn’t it?

5 minutes ago, prince al said:

Well Starmers got his chance now! If he’s not happy about it, don’t let them out. By the way it was a cleaver move imposing over the top sentences to the daft rioters? Wasn’t it?

The point is, if he doesn't let some out, no more can go in!

"Daft rioters" - yeah cute, cuddly kittens aren't they?

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The point is, if he doesn't let some out, no more can go in!

"Daft rioters" - yeah cute, cuddly kittens aren't they?

Starmer must have know the situation, he was head of the CPS. 
Don’t let them out. 

10 minutes ago, peak4 said:

The prison overcrowding crisis has been brewing for years; I've known about it as a pure bystander, with no expert knowledge or experience in the field, so I can't believe the previous government weren't aware as well.
I can't be bothered routing through my old bookmarks now, but this one is from today, though the real issue predate this timewise.
Boris Johnson ‘binned’ solution to prisons crisis as prime minister, claims Dominic Cummings  Independent.
Former Tory adviser says the problem in jails was predicted ‘years ago’ and was also ignored by ex-PMs Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak

This is from 2021

Home Secretary Priti Patel MP says she’s tough on crime. If lower crime rates are her goal, she should turn her attention towards Britain’s prison system, currently churning out repeat offenders.

With one of the highest imprisonment rates in Western Europe and at an occupancy level of 104% on average (and in some areas much higher), the pressure is building and something has to give.

At first glance, the Norwegian prison system may appear simply too expensive to be palatable, especially in an economy scarred by coronavirus.

In Norway, a place at Halden Prison costs roughly £98,000 per year. But in England and Wales it costs £41,000, certainly a significant difference in cost.  

In the UK, around 60% of released inmates go on to reoffend within a two-year period.

Partly as a result, Norway has almost three times fewer inmates than the UK, with prisons operating at a capacity of 73%, as opposed to 104% in England and Wales. 

I wouldn't worry about what Priti Patel thinks.

She was the Home Secretary who boasted that during her tenure:

"Car crime, burglary and shoplifting are all lower than the same time last year."

Great, until you realise that she was talking about the period of lockdown

Priti Patel mocked after announcing shoplifting rates decreased during lockdown | indy100 | indy100

Just how has this country got into such a state that our prisons are full with criminals being released to make room for more criminals? Only 10% of crimes lead to the offender being brought to justice so what would the situation be like if the clear up rate was 100%? Starmer would have to build 1.5 more prisons instead of homes.

14 minutes ago, peak4 said:

This is from 2021

So the Tories fault then?

Hopefully now Labour will be in charge they will sort it out.

Maybe folk I Norway are just less rough and don't keep repeat offending?

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

Because people don’t want one close to them, let’s face it I wouldn’t, would you?

Oh I don't know. I reckon a high security prison would actually increase house prices around in Canklow. 

• Haha 2