U.K. PRISONS

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

courtesy of AI:

Cost
Building new prisons is extremely expensive, with each new cell costing at least £630,000. 

Local opposition
New prisons can put a strain on local public services and residents living nearby often oppose them. 

Community sentences
According to the MoJ, community sentences are more effective than short prison sentences at reducing crime. 

Over-reliance on imprisonment
Some believe that the UK relies too much on imprisonment, which takes resources away from other work. 

and:

It is time to stop building prisons

https://howardleague.org/blog/it-is-time-to-stop-building-prisons/

I'd like to see the costing on this . A 6x8 concrete shell with limited electrics and plumbing 

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I'd like to see the costing on this . A 6x8 concrete shell with limited electrics and plumbing 

Have you not seen all the new apartments cropping up in town? There’s a few of those going for around £150,000. 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

I think you'll find that is the total cost of the prison (including offices, grounds, security etc etc ) divided by the number of cells,

Just now, Longcol said:

Neither do prison officers and other staff, security, meals, building maintenance etc etc

I agree. And if no money was spent on PS5's, TV's and other luxuries then more money could be spent on prison officers and other staff, security, building maintenance etc. 

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I agree. And if no money was spent on PS5's, TV's and other luxuries then more money could be spent on prison officers and other staff, security, building maintenance etc. 

And it would make bugger all difference to the big costs and make give inmates more time to make trouble. Keep 'em docile in front of a telly or playing video games for hours on end - good value for money.

Edited by Longcol