Dynamic pricing

Musing on the topic of dynamic pricing I was wondering to what extent it will take over in purchasing all goods.

We have seen it taking over in ticket and airline seat sales , how long before it comes to a supermarket near you.

Full price for sandwiches in the morning with a jump during the middle of the day and the price dropping later in the day .

Ice cream prices fluctuating with the weather . The list goes on.

When ordering an Uber will the charge alter for the customer and the payment to the driver be offered at different rates (the one accepting the lowest payment gets more offers of bookings).

Is this a benefit to consumers or a way to squeeze more profits for corporations?

Dynamic Pricing, in its various forms, is operated by railway companies, airlines, holiday companies, etc. and is beneficial to many.

Examples to London by train are Anytime, off peak, super off peak, Railcards and/or £21.60 First Class booked in advance, successful upgrade bid  for £13 on the day and The Secret Saver.

The disadvantage is that often these options require smartphone+bank card as well as an understanding of the ticketing system- at least on the railway there is a maximum fare. Use the station booking office!

I have just been to my local Morrisons, 6 mince pies for £1,80 the cynic in me thinks that they will charge the highest price they can, but they need to be on sale at that price for 6 weeks, only then can they offer 1/3 off all around the country.

£1,20 isn't too bad, a 20% increase on a few years ago, but food prices have risen more than 20%

44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

There's no such thing as dynamic/surge pricing.

We all know what it really is.

Don't we just!

ASDA Lion Bars, £1-00 last year.

Then £1-25,

Then crept up to £1-50.

Now retailing at £1-85.

I was thinking more on the lines of prices altering whilst walking around shops with AI targetting footfall and changing  prices regularly during the day, at the moment it needs a person to alter the display, digitally it can be programmed to monitor people  maybe in future it could target people individually using profiles built up by data profiling.

We already get promotions sent to us on the back of our historical spending patterns.

Just wondering how far it will go.

• Like 1

There was a case recently reported in The Guardian of a guy who bought some KLM flight tickets. When paying for the tickets the total amount shown was £310.90, after paying for the tickets he found he had been charged £428.90. He complained to KLM and was told the prices can change due to dynamic pricing and they refused to honour the price shown when he paid for the tickets. When the newspaper contacted KLM they changed their mind and honoured the original price. Makes you wonder how many other people have been affected by this.