Dynamic pricing

1 hour ago, andysm said:

There was a case recently reported in The Guardian of a guy who bought some KLM flight tickets. When paying for the tickets the total amount shown was £310.90, after paying for the tickets he found he had been charged £428.90. He complained to KLM and was told the prices can change due to dynamic pricing and they refused to honour the price shown when he paid for the tickets. When the newspaper contacted KLM they changed their mind and honoured the original price. Makes you wonder how many other people have been affected by this.

In that particular case, KLM made a mistake as the lower fare had previously been agreed with the customer “while dynamic pricing affects the prices on its website (in other words, if you see a price for a flight to London on a Monday, it is not guaranteed it will be the same price on the Friday after), if you agree a price for the transaction – that is the price for the ticket – it should not change.”  
I think we’re all familiar with flight prices going up and down according to demand but the airline can’t agree a price with a customer and then raid their account for whatever amount they choose!  But yes, I do wonder how often this has happened and if this is a genuine mistake.

Ever since Laker Airways folded because of Dirty Deeds by British Airways, every carrier has used data provided by travel agents, booking operators, cookies, computer data to watch the behaviour of individual and group purchases. The difference now is that the information is becoming instant so if the carrier sees an interest in a flight-they begin to ramp up price goes up for subsequent enquiries. This includes probable return dates.

Currently you have far more price protection when booking in Europe through a EU licensed/based operators-you do not have to be a EU citizen. 

Recent non-tourist flight experience tells me that the cheapest way is a single tickets booked at first sight having done my  research on another site on a different date. Groups booking are often best done through a Travel Agent, and not individuals buying separate but increasingly expensive tickets (beware of 'pals' not paying in full first!).

Trouble is the public is falling behind in this price war.

• Thanks 1

On 10/09/2024 at 16:21, Padders said:

Don't we just!

ASDA Lion Bars, £1-00 last year.

Then £1-25,

Then crept up to £1-50.

Now retailing at £1-85.

And are smaller. Shrinkflation abounds in many if not most products. 5 servings instead of 6 etc. The worst I have found is a box of instant mash which used to cost £1 for 5 sachets, is now £1.75 for 3 sachets.

I no longer buy it....

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And are smaller. Shrinkflation abounds in many if not most products. 5 servings instead of 6 etc. The worst I have found is a box of instant mash which used to cost £1 for 5 sachets, is now £1.75 for 3 sachets.

I no longer buy it....

I've fell for that shrinkflation gimmick a couple of times now.

I'm a tight git, and always check prices ETC.

I saw some Lion bars in Iceland, Cheap!

When I got home they were a third the size of normal ones.

Same thing happened in ASDA. "Special offer, Mr. Kipling Apple pies" cheap.

Once again half the size.

I now check the weights.

Nightmare init.

31 minutes ago, Padders said:

I've fell for that shrinkflation gimmick a couple of times now.

I'm a tight git, and always check prices ETC.

I saw some Lion bars in Iceland, Cheap!

When I got home they were a third the size of normal ones.

Same thing happened in ASDA. "Special offer, Mr. Kipling Apple pies" cheap.

Once again half the size.

I now check the weights.

Nightmare init.

Indeed it is Padders.

Do they think we're so stupid we won't notice?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I think prices are definitely on the creep up , they are very subtle how they do it though in Supermarkets 

Prices fluctuate on a weekly basis.

Their up and down like an whores Knickers..

• Haha 1