whats sheffields most famous food

Fishcakes and breadcakes.  Others call imposter offerings 'fishcakes', but they're invariably some sort of breaded or battered fish/mushed fish, or - the horror - the potato is mushed with the fish.

I've heard that some people outside Sheffield refer to breadcakes as 'bread rolls'.  They are, of course, quite wrong to do so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bellatrix said:

Fishcakes and breadcakes.  Others call imposter offerings 'fishcakes', but they're invariably some sort of breaded or battered fish/mushed fish, or - the horror - the potato is mushed with the fish.

I've heard that some people outside Sheffield refer to breadcakes as 'bread rolls'.  They are, of course, quite wrong to do so. 

As that cartoon character mural in Sheffield Market states,  'They're not bread rolls, buns or cobs.  They're BREADCAKES!' 

Agree about the fishcakes as well.  That's why you've always got to ask for a Sheffield fishcake on the East coast. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

As that cartoon character mural in Sheffield Market states,  'They're not bread rolls, buns or cobs.  They're BREADCAKES!'

Damn right!

My other half is from Lancashire and had never heard of breadcakes.  He thought the name was odd, which is quite ironic from someone who grew up calling them 'balm cakes'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3