whats sheffields most famous food

3 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

I love arguments like this and being from near 'Uddersfield of course we call them by their proper name of Teacake. I rest my case mlud

Nah, a teacake is a breadcake with currents in the mix. ;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

YES! Absolutely! 

I remember discussing this burning issue a while back.  I argued that 'scon' sounded a bit posh, a bit 'more tea, vicar?' She said she thought the same way about 'scone', and that 'scon' was the more - for want of a better term - working class version.

It's entirely regional.

But I'm right.

:D

7 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Candied peel? (confused)  

Now that you've reminded me, I'm gagging for a toasted teacake too! *drooling* 😂

It's the peel of oranges and lemons cooked with sugar syrup.  Actually, I'm not entirely sure how you make it, but you can buy tubs of it in the dried fruit section.  As long as you don't go overboard with it, and use the quite finely chopped stuff, it's very nice indeed in tea cakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellatrix said:

I remember discussing this burning issue a while back.  I argued that 'scon' sounded a bit posh, a bit 'more tea, vicar?' She said she thought the same way about 'scone', and that 'scon' was the more - for want of a better term - working class version.

Interesting! Like you. I've always thought that 'scon' sounded a bit posh. I like the idea that scon has working class origins.  I'll try to bear this in mind next time it irritates me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

It's the peel of oranges and lemons cooked with sugar syrup.  Actually, I'm not entirely sure how you make it, but you can buy tubs of it in the dried fruit section.  As long as you don't go overboard with it, and use the quite finely chopped stuff, it's very nice indeed in tea cakes.

I'd forgotten. I'm fairly sure that they don't do Candied peel down here. And the rest.

23 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

It's entirely regional.

But I'm right.

:D

It is. Tangentially, the Stone of Scone [scoon] springs to mind.

17 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

And on florentines (and I don't go overboard with it when making my own).

• Like 1