Ban on junk food TV adverts

7 minutes ago, cressida said:

I wonder how many couples split up after their offspring have left home,  they are the 'glue' which holds families together in a lot of instances.

I've read of this, couples splitting up shortly after the kids go of to Uni, leave home.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

To be honest I'm not sure the ban on junk food adverts will do much goo.

It was only last week I was in the city centre, and the amount of fast food takeaways on the High Street is shocking. 

It's a start, lets hope they do more. Can they make us all healthy eaters, probably not.

But surely the Government can make things better.

The sugar tax on fizzy drinks reduced the sugar content, it worked in a small way.

But if they do that with other foods, companies will use sweeteners.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

It's a start, lets hope they do more. Can they make us all healthy eaters, probably not.

But surely the Government can make things better.

The sugar tax on fizzy drinks reduced the sugar content, it worked in a small way.

But if they do that with other foods, companies will use sweeteners.

They already do use sweetners and 101 other chemicals to make up for the lack of sugar which some would argue have potential health concerns just a much (if not worse) than natural sugar, 

"it worked" is debatable in my opinion.  

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

They already do use sweetners and 101 other chemicals to make up for the lack of sugar which some would argue have potential health concerns just a much (if not worse) than natural sugar, 

"it worked" is debatable in my opinion.  

There is absolutely no doubt that sugar taxes work. There is a host of research from around the globe that shows exactly that.

If you don’t like experts, just pop to your local supermarket and have a look at the soft drinks.  You should be able to see the preponderance of sugar free drinks.

Maybe you could also share some evidence for the health risks of sweeteners.

3 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

There is absolutely no doubt that sugar taxes work. There is a host of research from around the globe that shows exactly that.

If you don’t like experts, just pop to your local supermarket and have a look at the soft drinks.  You should be able to see the preponderance of sugar free drinks.

Maybe you could also share some evidence for the health risks of sweeteners.

Artificial sweeteners are not really very good for you.  They aren’t likely to cause any harm in moderation though.  But I suppose the same could be said of sugar in modest quantities. I remember years ago getting headaches from drinking too many sugar free soft drinks. I suppose it could have been caused by something other artificial sweeteners but I have suspicions. I only have them occasionally now and don’t have any problems.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Artificial sweeteners are not really very good for you.  They aren’t likely to cause any harm in moderation though.  But I suppose the same could be said of sugar in modest quantities. I remember years ago getting headaches from drinking too many sugar free soft drinks. I suppose it could have been caused by something other artificial sweeteners but I have suspicions. I only have them occasionally now and don’t have any problems.  

I was asking for evidence. You know, science and stuff.

As far as I know, there is no credible evidence that sweeteners are harmful to human health 

• Thanks 1