Ban on junk food TV adverts

1 hour ago, crisispoint said:

The food is just food, what we need to solve is how to stop people eating too much 

Yes, and the inclusion of a lot quite ordinary foods in that list I think could lead to more disordered eating issues in young people. The old sayings of ‘everything in moderation’ and little of what you fancy does you good’ are a more sensible approach that demonising every food that isn’t nutritionally perfect.

It might also be sensible to have more emphasis on school sport and active hobbies for children.  I know that doesn’t substitute having a healthy diet but it is an important factor in preventing weight gain and is good for mental as well as physical health.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pfifes said:

It doesn’t say that on the list you posted.  And besides which syrup usually very high in sugar.  In fact many add it to flavour to plain porridge.  Maybe there are sugar free syrups available but even so they could scarcely be described as ‘nutritious’.

It states that it needs to meet both criteria, it is not just a list of food where advertising is banned.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It states that it needs to meet both criteria, it is not just a list of food where advertising is banned.

Ok, but why would things like syrup and icing be exempt and something like porridge have to have to be included in one of 13 categories identified by the government.  Even porridge with added sugar/salt isn’t nutritionally terribly unlike say takeaway doughnuts and pizza (which are popular with young people and I would hazard a guess a much bigger issue than porridge with a little added sugar!).  This camp needs to be targeted at genuine junk food which is popular with young people.  Not ordinary food that may contain modest amounts of sugar/fat/salt.

37 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Ok, but why would things like syrup and icing be exempt and something like porridge have to have to be included in one of 13 categories identified by the government.  Even porridge with added sugar/salt isn’t nutritionally terribly unlike say takeaway doughnuts and pizza (which are popular with young people and I would hazard a guess a much bigger issue than porridge with a little added sugar!).  This camp needs to be targeted at genuine junk food which is popular with young people.  Not ordinary food that may contain modest amounts of sugar/fat/salt.

It won't be easy to get people slimmer, most things are a person's choice and getting more exercise is important too

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It won't be easy to get people slimmer, most things are a person's choice and getting more exercise is important too

Well yes that’s true and I agree about exercise. But I don’t think that list is well thought through at all and it’s not properly targeted at the types of junk food that appeals to young people and are  problematic for obesity in them.  Young people are not getting fatter from eating porridge with a modest amount of sugar.  Fruit loaves, crumpets and scones don’t particularly appeal to young people and are  fine in moderation as part of a healthy diet.  Takeaway iced doughnuts are very popular with young people though and far more unhealthy.  In fact the former appeal more to older people who probably have a healthier diet and never eat takeaway doughnuts and pizza!  

11 hours ago, crisispoint said:

The food is just food, what we need to solve is how to stop people eating too much 

Junk food really isn't just food, it's a whole chemistry lesson on a plate. There is a lot of public health research that shows a link between junk food advertising and junk food consumption. The phrase generally used in the UK is 'commercial determinants of public health'

It'll be that that the government is drawing on, and the reason will be to reduce demand on the NHS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Junk food really isn't just food, it's a whole chemistry lesson on a plate. There is a lot of public health research that shows a link between junk food advertising and junk food consumption. The phrase generally used in the UK is 'commercial determinants of public health'

It'll be that that the government is drawing on, and the reason will be to reduce demand on the NHS.

This initiative is supposed to be aimed at reducing the amount of junk food children eat.  Which is well intentioned and I thought was a positive move until I saw the criteria they were using and the rather baffling list which exempts syrup and icing (both largely consisting of refined sugar and generally used as toppings on (banned) cakes, puddings and deserts.  Then gives porridge and rice cakes  in the list of categories defined by the government.  Bonkers.  I sure all the fat kids gorge on porridge and rice cakes. Not!

It does feel it like the government being seen to be doing something without really tackling the issue properly.