Census may have overestimated number of trans people in England and Wales

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

How would you know if it was a he?

Unless it's one of the small minority who do look like women I'd have no problem identifying one.

If it is one of the small minority who look like a biological woman then there's isn’t much I could do. 

Edited by The_DADDY

Just now, leviathan13 said:

You keep asking for links - you can just Google this stuff - there have been plenty of stories of biological men who show no interest in transitioning accessing female spaces.

You're either lazy and don't pay attention to what's happening in the media, or you're refusing to acknowledge it to push the trans narrative.

Nope - just don't follow media caricatures / stereotypes.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Unless it's one of the small minority who do look like women I'd have no problem identifying one.

If it is one of the small minority who look like a biological women then there's isn’t much I could do. 

So your knowledge is based on actual encounters or media stereotypes / caricatures?

43 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Subsequently, this post showed up on my Twitter feed for some reason, no idea why, though I thought it quite brave of the author to write and publish it;  ...

It's excellent that someone was able to get the respectful and compassionate help and support necessary.  Absolutely no one here, I hope,  is suggesting that a person of any identity, sexuality, belief or political persuasion should be treated with anything less. 

However, Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre, for example, not only failed to provide women with the compassionate care they needed, but also failed to provide the single-sex spaces required by law.  Additionally, the CEO of the centre failed to behave professionally, outside the limits of the authority conferred by the position, referring to victims who needed single-sex spaces as 'bigots' who 'should expect to be challenged' and stating that they should 'reframe their trauma'.

If women need a single-sex space, without male-bodied people, that should be provided.  Otherwise you end up with a report that concludes with an assessment of serious failings and damage inflicted on rape survivors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Question.

OK. 

I'll answer but I'm not getting into a debate about it. I posted my opinion, I'm not up for arguing tonight.

It's based on actual encounters. 

I don't need the media, mainstream or otherwise to tell me what I should think. 

I also use common sense. If a woman in a dress has arms like Arnie and a 5 o'clock shadow it's a fair bet they are identifying as a woman. 

Now, I've said more than I wanted to. I only really posted to leave an opinion so I'll leave it there.

Have a pleasant evening 🙏

20 minutes ago, Longcol said:

How would you know if it was a he?

The Stonewall website states that:

It’s important to remember that being trans isn’t about having a particular appearance or particular body parts. It’s something that’s absolutely core to a trans person’s identity and is not dependent on their outward appearance.

All that's required to adopt a trans identity is some degree of social transition - appropriate pronouns, for example.  It's common for someone obviously male in appearance to claim a female identity, and along with it the right to access women's single-sex spaces.

1 minute ago, Bellatrix said:

The Stonewall website states that:

All that's required to adopt a trans identity is some degree of social transition - appropriate pronouns, for example.  It's common for someone obviously male in appearance to claim a female identity, and along with it the right to access women's single-sex spaces.

Two observations - totally agree obvious males have no right to access women's single sex spaces.

Over here in France it is very common to have unisex spaces - eg restaurants, public w/c's, lots of camp sites, even some large ones , In places like motorway services, supermarkets etc common  for women to use the male toilets to find a cubicle when there is a queue for the ladies. Nobody seems to get worked up about it,