Reverse parking

I've just read this,

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1947965/drivers-parking-october-rule-change

I'm afraid I disagree with the argument, especially regarding supermarket parking. I can never quite get my head around people who demonstrate what fabulous drivers they are, by reversing into a narrow space in a supermarket carpark, and then go and get a trolley for their shopping. It's much easier to reverse our of a small space and maneuver into a large space behind you than it is to reverse into a small space, and you can easily load your shopping into the boot. Most people don't drive far enough to a supermarket to fully warm an engine up and don't spend enough time inside for the engine to cool off enough to make a difference to the fuel consumption.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Something I never do . Much easier and quicker to drive in and reverse out . 

Couldn't agree less.

To me, I find it much easier and safer to reverse into a space. When you have immovable parked cars either side, solid white lines, a wall or garage to keep an eye on.  Plus I find once you start reversing in, vehicles and other hazards stop because you are blocking their path.

That's surely better than driving in and then have to try and reverse out into a busy carriageway or main road with cars, pedestrians the goodness knows what else getting in the way and who may not even see you until you are at least halfway or so into the manoeuvre.  

There must be some science to it, because I have been to car parks and even work places where there's mandatory rules to reverse in to parking spaces. 

I admit it takes a bit of practice but so does any manoeuvre being done correctly. But once it's tried it should become almost second nature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

And loading your car boot?

Never had a problem opening and loading a boot.  Just need to leave enough space back and sides.   In the supermarket I take the trolley up nearby the car front and then take the bags out the short distance between front and open boot.   I can cope without having to push the trolley right up to the boot edge most of the time. 

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Never had a problem opening and loading a boot.  Just need to leave enough space back and sides.   In the supermarket I take the trolley up nearby the car front and then take the bags out the short distance between front and open boot.   I can cope without having to push the trolley right up to the boot edge most of the time. 

I always reverse in Mr. Noob.

I thought it was the correct way to do it.

Wonder if it gets a mention in the High Way code?

• Haha 1