Technology in cars

If you change channels a few times on the radio or select media in my car without using the controls on the steering wheel it gives you a stern warning that that can be a distraction the next time you start the car! 😮

I do use the Steering wheel controls mainly but haven't bothered to program in everything, hence the electronic admonishments.

As I drive an automatic pressing the odd radio or media button occasionally doesn't seem much of a distraction to me, my car disagrees. 🙄

• Like 1

My thoughts are you seem to be making assumptions and appear to know very little about the technology you declare "OTT". 

Firstly, not all of these systems and gadgets are supposed to be used directly by the driver or whilst driving. 

Other parts of technology, auto braking, cruise control, speed limiters, hill holds, park assists, reverse cameras, collision radar detection systems are all contributing in making cars increasingly safe.  

The more premium cars now is all linked with voice technology. So again, not necessarily distracting or having to take hands off the wheel as people would assumed.  I would rather talk to my GPS and get audio instructions than back in the day when trying to drive, look out for junctions and half read a map at the same time.

Having driven both old bangers from back in the day and modern cars, I can tell you which one I prefer and you certainly isn't my old original fiesta with no power steering, crap breaking and very little in the way of tech.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

My thoughts are you seem to be making assumptions and appear to know very little about the technology you declare "OTT". 

Firstly, not all of these systems and gadgets are supposed to be used directly by the driver or whilst driving. 

Other parts of technology, auto braking, cruise control, speed limiters, hill holds, park assists, reverse cameras, collision radar detection systems are all contributing in making cars increasingly safe.  

The more premium cars now is all linked with voice technology. So again, not necessarily distracting or having to take hands off the wheel as people would assumed.  I would rather talk to my GPS and get audio instructions than back in the day when trying to drive, look out for junctions and half read a map at the same time.

Having driven both old bangers from back in the day and modern cars, I can tell you which one I prefer and you certainly isn't my old original fiesta with no power steering, crap breaking and very little in the way of tech.  

I bet you’re fun at parties. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

I bet you’re fun at parties. 

Extremely.  I have a sense of humour, quite a few tales to tell and liven up debates because I'm more than prepared to call people out when I see nonsense and have the knowledge to generally back things up with some solid counterpoints.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Extremely.  I have a sense of humour, quite a few tales to tell and liven up debates because I'm more than prepared to call people out when I see nonsense and have the knowledge to generally back things up with some solid counterpoints.

Glad to know you have a sense of humour,  I love your posts but find you a bit scary (in half measures)

• Haha 1

What do you think of these cars which can steer themselves? A colleague of mine had one which had that function, and he tentatively tried it out one day when he was on a motorway in Germany. At first everything was fine, but then there was a stretch where there were roadworks and the white lines had been suppressed by yellow ones. The computer didn’t realise it had to follow the yellow lines, and the bloke almost had a brown trouser job trying to wrench the car back into the right direction.

8 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

What do you think of these cars which can steer themselves? A colleague of mine had one which had that function, and he tentatively tried it out one day when he was on a motorway in Germany. At first everything was fine, but then there was a stretch where there were roadworks and the white lines had been suppressed by yellow ones. The computer didn’t realise it had to follow the yellow lines, and the bloke almost had a brown trouser job trying to wrench the car back into the right direction.

Nightmare.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

As someone who likes the act of driving, rather than just being a steering wheel attendant, I'd take the old Fiesta all day long. 

I believe that there is a correlation between the rise of technology, with particular reference to screens in cars, especially digital dashboards, and the descent of driving standards

1980s Audi dashboard: Simple, necessary info only. Speed, fuel level, Engine RPM.

2020 Audi Dashboard: Cluttered, overcomplicated map display, radio station, range, speed, gear, driving mode, door status. Lots to take focus off actual driving

audi_80_10.jpg

sddefault.jpg

• Like 4