Technology in cars

1 hour ago, Resident said:

As someone who likes the act of driving, rather than just being a steering wheel attendant, I'd take the old Fiesta all day long. 

I believe that there is a correlation between the rise of technology, with particular reference to screens in cars, especially digital dashboards, and the descent of driving standards

1980s Audi dashboard: Simple, necessary info only. Speed, fuel level, Engine RPM.

2020 Audi Dashboard: Cluttered, overcomplicated map display, radio station, range, speed, gear, driving mode, door status. Lots to take focus off actual driving

audi_80_10.jpg

sddefault.jpg

That bottom one is scary .

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Our lads got one with an electric  button for the handbrake .  Give me a good old handbrake any day 

I am curious as to why. Is it a tactile physical thing, somehow you feel more assured by a manual lever rather than pushing a button?  After all, the way the car is held is pretty much the same, whichever the method. 

I do wonder if some of this is all about the lack of physical actions, physical buttons, physical switches that people default to somehow a lack of trust in technology. 

However, I bet most people on here here wouldn't be wanting to go back to the days before power steering, ABS, starting our vehicles with the starter handle, manual choke etc...

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am curious as to why. Is it a tactile physical thing, somehow you feel more assured by a manual lever rather than pushing a button?  After all, the way the car is held is pretty much the same, whichever the method. 

I do wonder if some of this is all about the lack of physical actions, physical buttons, physical switches that people default to somehow a lack of trust in technology. 

However, I bet most people on here here wouldn't be wanting to go back to the days before power steering, ABS, starting our vehicles with the starter handle, manual choke etc...

Feels safer pulling that lever up . No need to look for a light saying handbrake is on 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Loved the starting handle on my old Ford sit up and beg.

One turn and she was away, even on the coldest mornings...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Excellent , so impressive .Remember Dad pulling choke out too to get car started 

Remember that too Helen.

I'll tell you what, I'd rather have an old vintage car any day, never mind what Mr. Noob. says...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Oh I adore vintage cars , went to a show at Norton Country Club , there were all sorts , Jags , loads 

And usually spotless,

I go to one every year in Ecclesfield Pk.

You could eat your dinner of some of them engines..

• Like 1