Technology in cars

7 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

When I see these new cars ,I see some very OTT technology inside .  These are touch screen , so my question is . Messing with these systems ,takes your concentration away from driving & surroundings - what are your thoughts ? 

Too much technology  

Not enough build quality. Modern cars are crap in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Too much technology  

Not enough build quality. Modern cars are crap in my opinion. 

Ha.  You joking right.

You want to refresh your memory about most of the crap that came out of Leyland Motors particularly during the late '70s and '80s.  You'd be sometimes lucky if you got one with the engine wired up or all the door fittings in place. 

Some of the early generation of budget hatchbacks were appalling. Something as basic as an ashtray was deemed an optional extra and built so poorly that if you slammed the door too hard the whole car would shake.  

These days, dependant on the brand, even a entry-level model hatchback can be found with power steering, Bluetooth, electric windows, climate control, reverse camera as standard with at least some faith that the gear lever won't come away in your hand every time you go into fourth.

Think some people are getting a bit of rose tinted nostalgia.  Of course, a classic Jag or some other type of historic luxury car in well preserved condition is something to admire, but let's not get too hung up on it. There was plenty of dross out there. I'll be surprised if as many people would be going gooey over a  'classic' Austin Allegro, Princess or Lada Riva. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha.  You joking right.

You want to refresh your memory about most of the crap that came out of Leyland Motors particularly during the late '70s and '80s.  You'd be sometimes lucky if you got one with the engine wired up or all the door fittings in place. 

Some of the early generation of budget hatchbacks were appalling. Something as basic as an ashtray was deemed an optional extra and built so poorly that if you slammed the door too hard the whole car would shake.  

These days, dependant on the brand, even a entry-level model hatchback can be found with power steering, Bluetooth, electric windows, climate control, reverse camera as standard with at least some faith that the gear lever won't come away in your hand every time you go into fourth.

Think some people are getting a bit of rose tinted nostalgia.  Of course, a classic Jag or some other type of historic luxury car in well preserved condition is something to admire, but let's not get too hung up on it. There was plenty of dross out there. I'll be surprised if as many people would be going gooey over a  'classic' Austin Allegro, Princess or Lada Riva. 

Where to start..

1, I never mentioned British Leyland. 

2. I never mentioned the 70's or 80's.

3. I never mentioned classic Jags

4. I never mentioned the Austin Alegro.

5. I never mentioned the Princess.

6. I never mentioned the Lada Riva.

Nice rant though.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Where to start..

1, I never mentioned British Leyland. 

2. I never mentioned the 70's or 80's.

3. I never mentioned classic Jags

4. I never mentioned the Austin Alegro.

5. I never mentioned the Princess.

6. I never mentioned the Lada Riva.

Nice rant though.

I know you specifically didn't mention those. You were making comparisons on build quality and made the comment "modern cars are crap"  

Well I am giving you a counterpoint of how plenty of older cars had low build quality and would be argued as crap.  

I mentioned the Jags because that's often a car used to sample quality build from yesteryear. I also mentioned other luxury types of car in reply to the picture of an mg posted earlier.  I make the point that you can get gooey eyed about certain classic cars but there was plenty of other 'classic' cars which were ugly dross for which most people wouldn't get so fond about. It's not all about you and your posts love.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I know you specifically didn't mention those. You were making comparisons on build quality and made the comment "modern cars are crap"  

Well I am giving you a counterpoint of how plenty of older cars had low build quality and would be argued as crap.  

I mentioned the Jags because that's often a car used to sample quality build from yesteryear. I also mentioned other luxury types of car in reply to the picture of an mg posted earlier.  I make the point that you can get gooey eyed about certain classic cars but there was plenty of other 'classic' cars which were ugly dross for which most people wouldn't get so fond about. It's not all about you and your posts love.  

By far and away the most reliable car I've had in 35 years of driving is my 10 year old Citroen Berlingo, 90k miles, annual service, third pair of tyres wearing well - oh - had to change the battery last year. Previous cars eg Fords used to cost at least 3 times as much to maintain.

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

By far and away the most reliable car I've had in 35 years of driving is my 10 year old Citroen Berlingo, 90k miles, annual service, third pair of tyres wearing well - oh - had to change the battery last year. Previous cars eg Fords used to cost at least 3 times as much to maintain.

I had a Beetle for 10 years. best car I've owned....

10 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha.  You joking right.

Totally agree.

Modern cars are better made, better engineered, from modern materials that are better for the job, and last longer.

Better efficiency, rust way way less, stop quicker... safety wise there's no comparison (for both drivers and pedestrians).

On balance, given the number of older cars I've had over the years, modern ones are far nicer to drive too.