Technology in cars

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

That comment just about sums you up. Well done. 

So much for "attacking the post and not the poster".

Weird how, as one of those who're always screetching the loudest about it when it suits, you've never managed to actually do it yourself! 🤣

Sure, I like modern cars, but really, all I want is something that gets me from A to B reliably.

The more tech, the more there is to potentially go wrong.

We had to scrap one (beautiful) car because computer turned on the anti-theft device, and it never started again.  Trying to get it repaired cost us a fortune, and at the end of the day, computer still said 'no.'  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Too much technology  

Not enough build quality. Modern cars are crap in my opinion. 

You are welcome to your opinion, of course. But you’d be wrong in this instance.

Seat belts, ABS, stability control, lane management, sat nav, traffic info, and many more things all add up to a safer and more comfortable ride.

How anyone would think that old cars were better is beyond be. I’ve owned plenty of unreliable rust buckets, give me a nice new German car any day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha.  You joking right.

You want to refresh your memory about most of the crap that came out of Leyland Motors particularly during the late '70s and '80s.  You'd be sometimes lucky if you got one with the engine wired up or all the door fittings in place. 

Some of the early generation of budget hatchbacks were appalling. Something as basic as an ashtray was deemed an optional extra and built so poorly that if you slammed the door too hard the whole car would shake.  

These days, dependant on the brand, even a entry-level model hatchback can be found with power steering, Bluetooth, electric windows, climate control, reverse camera as standard with at least some faith that the gear lever won't come away in your hand every time you go into fourth.

Think some people are getting a bit of rose tinted nostalgia.  Of course, a classic Jag or some other type of historic luxury car in well preserved condition is something to admire, but let's not get too hung up on it. There was plenty of dross out there. I'll be surprised if as many people would be going gooey over a  'classic' Austin Allegro, Princess or Lada Riva. 

You have got no taste , yes I have got a lovely new car , but I still appreciate Classic Cars 

55 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You are welcome to your opinion, of course. But you’d be wrong in this instance.

Seat belts, ABS, stability control, lane management, sat nav, traffic info, and many more things all add up to a safer and more comfortable ride.

How anyone would think that old cars were better is beyond be. I’ve owned plenty of unreliable rust buckets, give me a nice new German car any day.

Eeee bring back no seatbelts, and the choke, and a crappy MW/LW radio. Can park it out outside the Lyceum!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Same, though I do prefer actual buttons and tactile feedback dials for heating, lighting etc.

Am not overly enamoured when those are replaced with a screen based implementation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Can't stand German cars , but we all have different tastes