The Albany Hotel (corner of Fargate & Surrey St)

10 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Opened in 1889, by The Sheffield Cafe Co. it was claimed to be first class...although of the Temperance persuasion.

Snap2024-09-16at11_31_47.png.b3ed56ccbcda8878a924e75b55e0a5b7.png

Cheers, it sounds like an up market knocking shop where the clientele can smoke as much as that like on the proviso that they are sober whilst carrying out their business.😉

Listed in White's Directory  1901:

THE ALBANY TEMPERANCE HOTEL & RESTAURANT 

By accounts from people writing on the Hotel, it seems to have been very well run

and have a 'Good Name'. Ref high class service.

Being Temperance, the religious aspect would have had a major bearing. In the 1930's it still seems to be decent, but by the 1950's the only advertisments I can find are for sales of Furs and Sports goods on the premises which might suggest it's on a downward spiral.

15 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Being Temperance, the religious aspect would have had a major bearing. In the 1930's it still seems to be decent, but by the 1950's the only advertisments I can find are for sales of Furs and Sports goods on the premises which might suggest it's on a downward spiral.

I think it closed around 1958!