The Woodseats Maglev Train moves one step closer... [A61 Road Improvement Plans]

• HeHasRisen changed the title to The Woodseats Maglev Train moves one step closer...

Didn't they do major changes at Woodseats when they narrowed the road? How will a bus lane get through this?

If the changes match the millions of pounds wasted on 'improving' Meadowhead roundabout then I doubt have much faith in this. 

In fact one of the safety things it mentions is removing the underpass and replacing it with a crossing - wasn't there a thread earlier about crossings and people not using them correctly causing an accident. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

In fact one of the safety things it mentions is removing the underpass and replacing it with a crossing - wasn't there a thread earlier about crossings and people not using them correctly causing an accident. 

You've read the article so you'll have seen the quote from the local resident which highlights how underpasses are seen as at best damp, dark, dirty unpleasant places, and at worst dangerous with regards to personal safety/muggings etc.

Whether true or not, that's the perception of them, so it leads to people trying to cross the road at surface level where there is currently no crossing facility, in fact there are barriers, so you end up with a more dangerous situation than if there were a decent crossing facility where occasionally a few people still try their luck by crossing without using it.

(Long story short - people will try and cross at surface level either way, so might as well build a safe crossing)

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AndrewC said:

You've read the article so you'll have seen the quote from the local resident which highlights how underpasses are seen as at best damp, dark, dirty unpleasant places, and at worst dangerous with regards to personal safety/muggings etc.

Whether true or not, that's the perception of them, so it leads to people trying to cross the road at surface level where there is currently no crossing facility, in fact there are barriers, so you end up with a more dangerous situation than if there were a decent crossing facility where occasionally a few people still try their luck by crossing without using it.

(Long story short - people will try and cross at surface level either way, so might as well build a safe crossing)

I totally understand your long story short part. 

I know you are an expert (or at least very knowledgeable on these things)...

This perception of danger in the underpasses could be quite cheaply solved. (I know people get sick of hearing my Asian stories - but also long story short, haha, I see things that are better here in China, Korea and Japan - where I'm currently hopping between)

Cameras - CCTV cameras in the underpass, and signs saying that there are CCTV cameras. Actually when I was in Korea, underpasses have lots of lighting, soft music, AND cameras! 

What do you think is the cost difference between this, and filling in that hole safely, AND installing an expensive crossing?

• SheffieldForum changed the title to The Woodseats Maglev Train moves one step closer... [A61 Road Improvement Plans]
8 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

As an aside, actually in Korea, crossing a road without a green man is just NOT done. I've had my hand slapped a few times for being way too British. :hihi:

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

The blue dots says new traffic signal. 

I count 18. What could possibly go wrong?

In Korea, and in big cities in China, the road is full of lights. Crossings turn green or red, and have subtle sounds so visually impaired people can also safely cross, so even playing on your phone, you can see the colour change below you. Why can't England catch up? 

This design looks expensive and no better. It's just someone getting paid to design it, and pay loads of money to workers to build it if they aren't on strike. 

There are a lot of good points in the proposal, and a couple that are dubious.

updating bus stops to include real time info and seats - good

bus priority signalling - they tried this before, it didn’t work, they spent thousands removing it again!

trying to address queueing into the retail park - might help

replace the subway with a crossing - long overdue

new signals for turning right onto Greenhill Avenue - definitely needed!

reviewing right-turns into side streets - don’t see the point of this at all

moving Binfield Road bus stop out of a lay-by onto main carriageway - why?

several proposals for cycling

I will be interested to see how much becomes reality.

• Like 1