We Can Be 10,000 Miles Apart And Receive A Reply To Our posts On SF Within A Few Seconds...

... All due to cables laid under the ocean traveling on for many thousands of undersea miles. Amazing to be able to get a reply to a post so quickly!

Additionally, I've read that these very undersea cables could be subject to attack. That would be the ultimate,  The world relies on the internet. Completely.

Just my random thoughts in the early hours after a few beers... ;) 

13 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

... All due to cables laid under the ocean traveling on for many thousands of undersea miles. Amazing to be able to get a reply to a post so quickly!

Additionally, I've read that these very undersea cables could be subject to attack. That would be the ultimate,  The world relies on the internet. Completely.

Just my random thoughts in the early hours after a few beers... ;) 

I've never, and still can't understand how you can talk to someone in Australia on a mobile phone while making a cuppa in the kitchen.

There's no wires or owt.

And how do they communicate with that Rover thing on Mars, Incredible.

• Like 1

Just now, Padders said:

I've never, and still can't understand how you can talk to someone in Australia on a mobile phone while making a cuppa in the kitchen.

There's no wires or owt.

Mind blowing , mate :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

There's no wires or owt.

If the thread progresses, we might get educated. Or not 😉

Just now, Draggletail said:

If the thread progresses, we might get educated. Or not 😉

Wait till Mr. Noob turns up.

He'll start of with smoke signals, carrier pigeons and work his way to the present day....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I thought it was all to do with satellite but what do I know.

If I remember correctly, I think that there is such a thing as a satellite internet connection (Elon Musk) but the very vast majority of internet connection is by under sea cables. As far as I understand...