How long do you reckon until you're DEAD

My Mum, like you believed in fate. She thought that when your time came to die it was written in the stars and you couldn’t do anything about it. She lived to be 88 but had dementia for her last 8 years. Having said that she appeared quite happy in her own world.

I’m not a believer in paid euthanasia. Many people who are suffering can end their own lives already by various means and it’s my opinion that it happens unofficially in hospitals already via the drugs which are administered.

echo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Many people who are suffering can end their own lives already by various means 

echo.

But can they end their lives efficiently, get it done effectively with the surety that they aren't going to end up in hospital with badly damaged liver after a failed paracetamol attempt, thus adding more distress to their lives, and the added trauma to their family and friends of that act?

27 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Many people who are suffering can end their own lives already by various means and it’s my opinion that it happens unofficially in hospitals already via the drugs which are administered.

echo.

But they won't get to say goodbye to their loved ones, which I believe can happen with legalised Euthanasia. The loved ones have some sort of closure, rather than discovering or being told by the police of suicide.

31 minutes ago, echo beach said:

I’m not a believer in paid euthanasia. Many people who are suffering can end their own lives already by various means and it’s my opinion that it happens unofficially in hospitals already via the drugs which are administered.

echo.

Yes, this will have been how my Mum went, in the hospice, increasing the morphine because of the pain, to the extent that it sent her away. The nurse phoned me to tell me to come and say my goodbyes without delay...

37 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Yes, this will have been how my Mum went, in the hospice, increasing the morphine because of the pain, to the extent that it sent her away. The nurse phoned me to tell me to come and say my goodbyes without delay...

I remember a friend telling me about his mum being in hospital, she had cancer and he brought her liquid food because the doctors were not tube feeding her.

Yet a 97-year-old relative is being tube fed.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

My Mum, like you believed in fate. She thought that when your time came to die it was written in the stars and you couldn’t do anything about it. She lived to be 88 but had dementia for her last 8 years. Having said that she appeared quite happy in her own world.

echo.

echo , I agree , I wouldn't ever expect anyone else to assist people witheir wish to end lives , that wouldn't be fair . But yes , I have known people do it themselves when they are diagnosed with something terminal . 

Many moons ago and elderly lady who lived around the corner and was suffering from cancer stepped in front of a lorry outside her house and killed herself.

Some years later a chap on the same road was found dead having slit his wrists.

And this is a very small village. So people do it everywhere.

I feel sorry for those left behind and still look after the man’s widow.

echo.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I remember a friend telling me about his mum being in hospital, she had cancer and he brought her liquid food because the doctors were not tube feeding her.

The last time I saw my Mum in the hospice, she was conscious, just, and I was encouraged to give her little spoonfuls of yoghurt, which she could barely take, and a drop of water for her dry lips/mouth. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

1 minute ago, echo beach said:

Many moons ago and elderly lady who lived around the corner and was suffering from cancer stepped in front of a lorry outside her house and killed herself.

Some years later a chap on the same road was found dead having slit his wrists.

And this is a very small village. So people do it everywhere.

I feel sorry for those left behind and still look after the man’s widow.

echo.

One of Mums & Dad's friends killed himself because he had Dementia & started being violent to his wife ,who he adored . Didn't want to go through it ,like Dad did . 

• Sad 1