Smoke from wood burner flue

A neighbour has a wood burning stove and the smoke coming from the flue is a problem.  The flue is below the ridge tiles.  Is this against building regulations?  Can people burn whatever they want on these too as it is causing a bad smell.

Do you live in a smoke control area?

Know the law in Smoke Control Areas
Smoke control area rules
A smoke control area is a legally defined area where you cannot emit a substantial amount of smoke from a chimney.
You can be issued a financial penalty of between £175 to £300 if you break this rule.
You must not buy an unauthorised fuel for use in a smoke control area unless it is to be used in an exempt appliance.
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you break this rule.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/documents/reports/cat09/1901291307_Ready_to_Burn_Web.pdf

The Guardian has been griping over this for some years.  Now that Labour are back in charge with a green agenda I can only see it being a matter of time before they're restricted further or banned.

I feel your pain though, my neighbour has his burner in his converted garage.

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

The Guardian has been griping over this for some years.  Now that Labour are back in charge with a green agenda I can only see it being a matter of time before they're restricted further or banned.

Smoke free zones have been in force for a good 50 years,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alchresearch said:

So do you think people should be allowed to pollute the air we breathe?

9 hours ago, El Cid said:

So do you think people should be allowed to pollute the air we breathe?

Wood burners have become popular because of the high cost of gas and people have stopped using there central heating and turned to coal and wood burners.

There not perfect, they submit a massive amount of heat for a fraction of the cost of gas but require regular topping up with coal or wood and then cleaning out every morning.

The answer is take down the cost of gas and electricity so people can afford to heat there homes without having to use a log burner.

Edited by Cody's Granddad

1 hour ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Wood burners have become popular because of the high cost of gas and people have stopped using there central heating and turned to coal and wood burners.

There not perfect, they submit a massive amount of heat for a fraction of the cost of gas but require regular topping up with coal or wood and then cleaning out every morning.

The answer is take down the cost of gas and electricity so people can afford to heat there homes without having to use a log burner.

In the words of a former salesman

@Most people buy cheap, small, decorative  burners which remove more heat from the house than they produce. 

There are no small decorative efficient wood burners that will ever pay for themselves and meet pollution standards which will eventually need to be imposed.

In wooded alpine areas the wood burners and flue in houses are of a different design, big, heat water and air and very expensive.

Most  UK decorative ornaments  and the way they are installed would be banned in new homes in these countries as they are not hot enough to heat the flue gases to a high enough temperature to destroy the main pollutants'.

2 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Electricity prices are no longer high, they have returned to their normal level, at least until there is another war!

Why do we still have an energy cap, we don't need a cap if we have competition.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/electricity-price

Only certain stoves can be installed in a Smoke control area. 

Defra sets the standards these have to meet based on their emission output, ultimately it's down to the local authorities to ensure people are not installing stoves that do not meet the requirements, and not using unauthorised fuels in their stoves.