Smoke from wood burner flue

47 minutes ago, geared said:

Only certain stoves can be installed in a Smoke control area.

Wasn't actually aware of this, though presumably the guy who installed it was, 'cos I just checked out of interest and it is suitable for a smoke control area.

Phew!

Clearview Pioneer 400.

Edited by Bamanamanana

5 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Where did I say that?

Did you miss my last sentence?

I hate wood burning stoves. The last suburb I lived in was a smoggy nightmare from October to Easter with all of them.

Yes, several neighbours have wood burners.  Most are fine and I actually like the smell.  There is a problem with one neighbour though due to the position of the flue and burning wet wood.

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Where did I say that?

Did you miss my last sentence?

I hate wood burning stoves. The last suburb I lived in was a smoggy nightmare from October to Easter with all of them.

Yet you were happy to service and fix Peugeot diesels.

I do love a hypocrite.

9 hours ago, Bamanamanana said:

Wasn't actually aware of this, though presumably the guy who installed it was, 'cos I just checked out of interest and it is suitable for a smoke control area.

Phew!

Clearview Pioneer 400.

This one?  That’s a very nice stove, I wouldn’t mind one myself!  https://www.topstak.co.uk/stoves/stoves-by-type/freestanding-stoves/clearview-pioneer-400p/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADpzkuK5yHIYoAv5g3xn1CJPlVNAw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs4uihZ_NiAMVl4BQBh2mUAPLEAQYAyABEgJfE_D_BwE

Here in rural France a log burner is by far and away the cheapest option - spent this afternoon stacking our  big winter wood delivery from the farmer a mile up the road, Should see us through til early Feb when I'll get another half load,

Properties round here well spaced out - we have a good half acre of land which is pretty common round here unless you own a farm . Most properties are bungalows which normally generate  far less smoke than 2/3 storey buildings. Massive amount of woodland (mainly oak) in this region.

• Like 1

The  idea of installing a tiny 5kw wood burner in an urban smoke control zone is not cost effective. 

It won't heat the house so electric/gas will still be required for heating, a 25kw burner minimum.

In Sheffield you are not allowed to leave the burner on a 'slow burn' setting or tamper with the minimum factory settings(you not the installer is legally responsible for this) so you start  from cold in the morning and evening. So you have to factor in higher costs, higher pollution and therefore higher costs and inconvenience. 

As wood burners are not as responsive so heat management is more difficult and costly.

The costs go on and on and a 5kw burner will never pay for itself.

Who in their right mind would think that replacing one or two radiators for a few hours a day for 7 months a year would  cover the initial purchase, installation and running costs?