The price of a pint in Sheffield

i know its not a pub but the Wadsley Bridge wmc from next week are having two cheap drink days per week

carling, fosters £1.40p per pint john smiths smooth and magnet £1.40p, there is another bitter federation i think which will be £1.20, looks like the good old days are coming back, hic.

When it first opened All Bar One bragged that it wanted to bring London prices to Sheffield. Thats fine for people who want to go there. I've been past and it looks clean and friendly and I've no doubt the food is nice and the wines are varied. But its just not for me. It is for some people.

Thats what is good about Sheffield - choice. City centre pubs, townie pubs, country pubs, spit and sawdust pubs, trendy wine bars, cocktail joints, WMC's etc etc surely enough to cater for anyones taste.

I will be in the Hillsborough Hotel this evening, reading the papers and supping £1.70 a pint real ale.

Nice.

• 5 weeks later...
Bottled beer in pubs has to take the biscuit for expensiveness. At not much more than half a pint a 275ml bottle works out at over 4 quid a pint equivalent. Doesn't seem to put people off though. Unless it's some nice foreign beer you can't get on draught I don't understand why people buy them (e.g. bottles of Stella or Fosters in pubs which sell draft versions). If you don't want a whole pint just have a half.

I must say I rarely notice how much a pint costs these days - somewhere between 1 and 3 quid depending what it is and where. You just hand over a note and you get a pocketful of change back (hopefully the right amount).

If i drink lager or beer when im on a night out and not out for one or two, i will always have bottles. Less chance of being soaked, simple.

But saying that im normally propping the bar up having shots.

I'm usually in the Common Room, Stella is £2.75 a pint and Becks £2.35 (i think!)/£1.50 on promo.

In the Dev Cat i usually pay £3+ a drink

Most other places seem to range between £2.50-£3, the most I've paid for a pint in Sheff is £3.85!

When i was in London a couple of weeks ago the drinks were actually cheaper! (only went to 2 pubs tho)

Archived