Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm not - merely wondering why common sense seemingly doesn't have to apply to them.

The LAW applies to them just as much as the LAW applies to other road users. 

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

No-one is saying it doesn’t. 🤣

There are outliers in everything. The vast, vast majority of cyclists will be going the right way. Everyone’s losing their mind over the hypothetical possibility that someone might at some point maybe perhaps possibly could — gasp — go the wrong way! And a motorist may have to — oh no — be alert to potential hazards!!!

All I am saying - in my personal opinion - is that there are some in this thread who seem to think cyclists are a special protected species. They aren't.

I'm not a 'motorist', as I have said repeatedly, and I am just looking at this as an outsider - no bias intended either way, even if some wish to infer such.

22 hours ago, alchemist said:

So come November the roundabout is going to be swarming with cyclists??

probably not, maybe a few?

and in a year, a few more

and in 2 years, a few more x2

etc.

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

etc.

Indeed. We've built up car-centric infrastructure, suburbs, lifestyles, habits over 80 years; the reversal of that doesn't need to take as long but patience & commitment is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

etc.

So there "might" be a couple in a few years time?
An EXCELLENT use of taxpayers money

• Like 1

there are already *definitely* a few cyclists using this junction - and it's currently a building site.

in a few years, there will be significantly more.

if we're talking use of money:

https://cyclingsolutions.info/cost-benefit-of-cycling-infrastructure/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2020/feb/12/investing-in-cycling-pays-off-but-ministers-are-ignoring-the-evidence

https://itdp.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Making-the-Economic-Case-for-Cycling_6-13-22.pdf

cycling infrastructure is excellent value : spend a million quid - save 5million.

• Like 1

Just popped in here to say that in 20 years cycling around Sheffield I've never seen a cyclist go around a roundabout the wrong way (and yes, I have seen motorists do it). I'm not sure why this roundabout would be any different.

That's all. Carry on as you were.

• Like 1