Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

1 hour ago, woodmally1979 said:

Firstly I dont drive nor do I cycle but I am sick of all the bias towards cyclists. They do nothing for motorists. They charge them for the ULEZ scheme. They have extortionate parking and shut off most of the roads in the city centre. 

There is no charge for private cars to enter the clean air zone in Sheffield.

There are plenty roads in the city centre available to the thousands who access the centre daily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodmally1979 said:

I have not seen one cyclist use the cycle lane outside the peace gardens.  Everything is geared towards cycling this is the latest example. 

I work next to the Peace Gardens and see cyclists use it all the time and the frankly weird one going up Union Street against the flow of the one way system but that's just my opinion its a bit confusing.  The main issue in town is and has been for a while the food couriers who do what they like.

I am concerned that the Dutch roundabout is an accident waiting to happen but that's on the motorist not the pedestrian/cyclist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodmally1979 said:

Firstly I dont drive nor do I cycle but I am sick of all the bias towards cyclists. They do nothing for motorists. They charge them for the ULEZ scheme. They have extortionate parking and shut off most of the roads in the city centre. 

I have not seen one cyclist use the cycle lane outside the peace gardens.  Everything is geared towards cycling this is the latest example. 

And yes many motorists are agressive towards cyclists but maybe some of it is down to the fact that motorists get fined and stopped by police for not obeying the highway code. I have never seen that happen to a cyclist. 

Hah, hah. hah!!!  A cyclist getting stopped for not obeying the highway code!!!!  Of course not, they are gods of the road, perfect citizens 🤣

18 hours ago, woodmally1979 said:

And yes many motorists are agressive towards cyclists but maybe some of it is down to the fact that motorists get fined and stopped by police for not obeying the highway code. 

Do they get aggressive towards all motorists because some don't obey the Highway Code too? Life must be incredibly stressful if that's how they live it. What about people who don't have a TV License, do they feel like giving them a slap? They probably carry a machete in case they see somebody dropping litter. 

People need to worry more about how they themselves drive / cycle / walk instead of what everybody else is or isn't doing. 

• Like 1

Isn't part of the problem (or maybe all of the problem) is that people are doing just that - thinking only of themselves and not what other road users are doing?  Aggressive, borderline dangerous driving/cycling seems to be the norm such as people overtaking on residential streets because your not going the speed they want to go, cyclists going where they want regardless of the road laws - there's loads of examples we will have all seen on a daily basis.  This type of roundabout assumes road users will follow the rules and give way.  I think in less than a week there will have been a load of near misses and maybe even a couple of accidents because no one cares.

BTW that in no way means I am against the roundabout as an idea - I just think the way people are on our roads now means it won't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_terrier said:

Isn't part of the problem (or maybe all of the problem) is that people are doing just that - thinking only of themselves and not what other road users are doing?  Aggressive, borderline dangerous driving/cycling seems to be the norm such as people overtaking on residential streets because your not going the speed they want to go, cyclists going where they want regardless of the road laws - there's loads of examples we will have all seen on a daily basis.  This type of roundabout assumes road users will follow the rules and give way.  I think in less than a week there will have been a load of near misses and maybe even a couple of accidents because no one cares.

BTW that in no way means I am against the roundabout as an idea - I just think the way people are on our roads now means it won't work.

Good points and I agree with some of that, although it is a lot of generalisations.

What do you think the solutions to the problems are?

I was generalising  on purpose as its too big really for specifics.  The issue is endemic with road users over the past few years. Strict enforcement could and would have an effect on the roundabout but as with everything there's a resourcing issue on how/who to do that.  Camera's could work rather than manned?  and that's a very small part of the road network so how would you enforce better say on Cycle lane usage/pedestrian areas (enforcement should be across all road users regardless of method of travel?)? 

• Like 1