Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

The answer lies in your question @Andy_terrier. There will never be enough resources to enforce everything so prioritisation is necessary. Real harm caused by pedestrians and cyclists is de minimis, whereas real harm caused by motorists is enforced as the priority. 

Many more lives would be saved by having everyone wear crash helmets inside a vehicle than operating a North Korean style law enforcement. 

The question was rhetorical really as I am acutely aware it would require prioritisation but you can't put in something fundamentally different to how the majority of road users know how to use a roundabout and just expect people to use it properly! I may be naive but I don't know what North Korean law enforcement is like (but can guess it involves sticks and guns ) but our strategy seems to be you take your own life in your hands!

As for enforcing across the board the only notable exception for me is fast food bike couriers in town as I would go all Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction on them!

Pulp Fiction And I Will Strike Down Upon Thee With Great Vengeance And Furious Anger GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_terrier said:

Camera's could work rather than manned? 

Zebra crossings can’t be enforced by camera under the current regulatory setup. Difficult to see how it could be done reliably with an automatic camera. Devices used have to be government approved and I’ve never heard of one for this purpose.  Current ones are based on traffic signals. 

I've just rewatched the video.  The stopping points for the Zebra crossings look to be away from the edge of the carriageway.  I can see that being a bit confusing for motorists.  also as I have previously said - people are looking out for themselves.  I have seen many times cars going through Zebra crossings when people are waiting (literally 50 yards from my house).  The camera idea was just that.  I don't know what feasibly would be possible either technically or by legislation - that's why I find it interesting when you comment @Planner1 as it helps inform (well me anyway!).  I still have concerns there will be issues - especially the first time a bike or pedestrian is setting off and the car doesn't stop.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

The question was rhetorical really as I am acutely aware it would require prioritisation but you can't put in something fundamentally different to how the majority of road users know how to use a roundabout and just expect people to use it properly! I may be naive but I don't know what North Korean law enforcement is like (but can guess it involves sticks and guns ) but our strategy seems to be you take your own life in your hands!

As for enforcing across the board the only notable exception for me is fast food bike couriers in town as I would go all Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction on them!

Pulp Fiction And I Will Strike Down Upon Thee With Great Vengeance And Furious Anger GIF

:D

I'm thinking that people have got it a bit around their neck as to what it is. The media keep mentioning bikes because that's obviously going to drive their click / advertising rate.

It's like Hunters Bar where there is a crossing just off each roundabout exit. My blue lines.

image.png.fbf0c6a19654d36cb31c59fbd5a000c7.png

That's all there is to it. It's created a weird amount of fuss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

It's like Hunters Bar where there is a crossing just off each roundabout exit. My blue lines.

image.png.fbf0c6a19654d36cb31c59fbd5a000c7.png

That's all there is to it. It's created a weird amount of fuss. 

are they now Zebra crossings?

The other thing is you have the bike lanes as well so 2 prioritised crossings per carriageway.

Anywho still needs the motorists to be vigilant...

The aim is for cyclists to proceed in a clockwise direction around the dedicated cycle lane. 

Nice in theory. 

How long do you reckon it will be for cyclists to go round the cycle path in an anticlockwise direction or use the road instead?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alchemist said:

How long do you reckon it will be for cyclists to go round the cycle path in an anticlockwise direction or use the road instead?

Nothing wrong with them using the road, there’s no compulsion to use a cycle path.

• Like 1