Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

Just now, Planner1 said:

Much of the major  funding for cycling schemes started to happen when Boris was prime minister. Both he and his main advisor were/are cyclists.

When it suited them, to make a political point.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

And possibly not as 'safe'.

Depends. There are plenty of hazards on cycle paths, many of them mobile ones looking at mobile phones instead of where they are going.

I’m an experienced road user and am not nervous about being close to traffic, so I go the quickest route, as do many other cyclists.

We’ll never get huge amounts of new people cycling unless we provide safe, segregated routes which they can use until they have confidence to use the road with the rest.

Just now, Planner1 said:

There are plenty of hazards on cycle paths, many of them mobile ones looking at mobile phones instead of where they are going.

Such people are also a hazard when walking - or driving.

42 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You’ll be disappointed then. When I was at SCC, most of the transport planning team up to the Head of Service were regular cyclists.

Much of the major  funding for cycling schemes started to happen when Boris was prime minister. Both he and his main advisor were/are cyclists.

So, given your username, I assume you were in the planning department?  being so "pro-cyclist" I aslo assume that you are a cyclist?

Can you answer the question then why the planners have suggested a one-way, clockwise cycle route but you seem to think that this is merely a "suggestion"?

As a cyclist if you were at this junction cycling the wrong way and were in collision with a vehicle, I guess I know where you'd place all of the blame.

Nuff said

Art

38 minutes ago, Art_Dent said:

So, given your username, I assume you were in the planning department?  being so "pro-cyclist" I aslo assume that you are a cyclist?

Can you answer the question then why the planners have suggested a one-way, clockwise cycle route but you seem to think that this is merely a "suggestion"?

As a cyclist if you were at this junction cycling the wrong way and were in collision with a vehicle, I guess I know where you'd place all of the blame.

Nuff said

Art

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

3 hours ago, Art_Dent said:

Nuff said

Art

You’d assume wrong.

Transport planning is not in the planning dept.

I’ve never said it was a suggestion. I’ve just responded to others who seemed to be getting concerned about what if cyclists used it in the opposite direction.

Drivers are supposed to give way to people on crossings. It’s pretty simple.

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You’d assume wrong.

Transport planning is not in the planning dept.

I’ve never said it was a suggestion. I’ve just responded to others who seemed to be getting concerned about what if cyclists used it in the opposite direction.

Drivers are supposed to give way to people on crossings. It’s pretty simple.

So if cyclists go in the opposite direction to what is put on the plan , what happens? 

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

So if cyclists go in the opposite direction to what is put on the plan , what happens? 

You'll give way just like you would if a pedestrian goes the "wrong way" and just like you would when a car goes the wrong way along a one-way street.

People do daft and wrong things all the time so it really is a non issue. We just need to worry about our own driving, not their cycling or walking. 

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

They could be partly held responsible for an accident?

If we don't give way, it's our fault and bear in mind the responsibility hierarchy that makes motorists legally more responsible than cyclists and pedestrians.  Unless we are a prize idiot or psychopath none of want to be even partly to blame for injuring a fellow human do we?